Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I'd put the rock in, read tha article I suggested and add grocery store shrimp to cycle.

I'm concerned about what you said you were told above. I wouldn't listen to that source much anymore if I were you. "Live sand" is not enuf to cycle your tank.
How long do I leave the shrimp in. Is it just a case of testing it until the results are right then take them out change 10% of the water and we are good to go. Or do I only leave the shrimp in for a day or two?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Leave the shrimp in there long enuf to get the ammonia up to 4.0 or higher and remove it. It'll drop as the nitrite starts to rise. After both get back to zero, change the water and begin adding cleanup crew and fish - slowly. What the ammonia as you add fish. Shouldn't see any. If you do, you're adding fish too fast.

Did you really read the article and understand it like you said?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Fish R friends, not food!

Leave the shrimp in until your nitrIte spikes and both it and ammonia go to zero. Then your nitrAte should be high. You will then do a large pwc to get the nitrAtes down and you will be ready to add fish....etc. My build thread is in my signature and details every day of my cycle in my 29 gallon reef.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

This could take weeks and yes test you water until your nitrites and ammo are gone and nitrates spike then change enought water to bring the trates below 5ppm which could take multiple changes
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Do not leave the shrimp in there until your readidng are at zero. You can remove it onve it gets to the level I told you.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

@austinsdad, why not leave the ammonia source in until you replace it with another. The BB should be readily converting the ammonia put off by the rotting shrimp. When you add the new fish/inverts they will be the ammonia source. Not questioning you since you have way more experience, just want to know.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, shrimp can be left until ammonia and nitrites are reading zero. You need to keep on feeding the bacteria until there's enough to handle the ammonia being put off by the decaying shrimp and the bacteria will reduce ammonia to zero. Remove the ammonia source and some of the bacteria can start dying off. Everything needs to eat to survive.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Guess that's fine, but once the ammonia gets that high, that bacteria will consume it all I'm thinking. Once all zeros (nitrite too) you'll be adding fish to produce ammonia. If not fish right away, you can drop a bit of food in every couple days or so to keep the bacteria feed.

And believe me, that decaying shrimp will smell so bad, you'll want it out. Also after that long a time as you suggest, the shrimp'll likely dissolve into a hundred pieces and be messy.

I'm just not agreeing that the ammonia/rotting shrimp stays in there that long. And I'm also thinking it'll take even longer to complete the cycle that way too.

Removing it at 4.0 or so has worked for me 3 or 4 times.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #19

Fair enough. Bottom line, if you dont wait to long to add fish, you will be ok. Everyone has there own method and many work.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys, a few things I have to bear in mind, this tank is in my girlfriends living room so smelly decaying fish might not be a good idea. But more importantly we were told that a high level of ammonia would kill of the bacteria on our cured live rock, is this true. I dont want to waste money buying live rock just to kill it off cycling the tank.

Thanks again in advance.

Tags
tan, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com