Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

First Test New Tank

After two weeks of the tank running from new here are the first results from the first test

Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrite - 0.8
Nitrate - 5

I was thinking of adding the live rock this weekend what are your thoughts please I am so new to all of this.

Rob

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could have added the live rock from the start it would have jump started the cycle more and added more surface area for you BB

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What is "running"? Sand in there? Any rocks? I'm wondering what's the source of the ammonia.

Sounds like you need to refer to our articles section on Cycling a SW tank. Might need to just add your rock and cycle the tank. Not sure what "running" means.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The advise I was given was to let it cycle for 2 weeks with just the live sand. Is it ok to put the rocks in this weekend? Are those levels normal at this stage?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
What is "running"? Sand in there? Any rocks? I'm wondering what's the source of the ammonia.

Sounds like you need to refer to our articles section on Cycling a SW tank. Might need to just add your rock and cycle the tank. Not sure what "running" means.
Sorry running basically meant plugged into the power .
Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will pretty much want your tank finished just without livestock for cycling so all your filtration and pumps running with all rock and sand added

Edit* Like Austinsdad Sed your best bet is going back and reading up on SW cycling
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have read it and although I understand the process and know my tank is no where near cycled. I will be adding the rock this weekend and testing again and again before I put fish anywhere near it or my clean up crew.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If its no where near cycled, add the rock and cycle it.
Also you said yuo let it cycle for 2 weeks. How? What is the ammonia source?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
If its no where near cycled, add the rock and cycle it.
Also you said yuo let it cycle for 2 weeks. How? What is the ammonia source?
I was told that initial 2 weeks was to condition and test the new tank (when I say new I mean never used before) and filters, bio balls, skimmer etc. then start the cycle with cured live rock I am now at the part where I add the rock but tested out of curiosity and the fact my tester turned up. I was surprised to see any ammonia in the tank unless it came from the live sand as I have no other source in the tank apart from my hand from time to time.

I will stick the rocks in on Sunday and then leave it a few days and test again to see of the process has started. If anyone has any advise or words of wisdom from experience I am happy to learn.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I'd put the rock in, read tha article I suggested and add grocery store shrimp to cycle.

I'm concerned about what you said you were told above. I wouldn't listen to that source much anymore if I were you. "Live sand" is not enuf to cycle your tank.

Tags
tan, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com