First Test New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankTastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
After two weeks of the tank running from new here are the first results from the first test

Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrite - 0.8
Nitrate - 5

I was thinking of adding the live rock this weekend what are your thoughts please I am so new to all of this.

Rob

You could have added the live rock from the start it would have jump started the cycle more and added more surface area for you BB

What is "running"? Sand in there? Any rocks? I'm wondering what's the source of the ammonia.

Sounds like you need to refer to our articles section on Cycling a SW tank. Might need to just add your rock and cycle the tank. Not sure what "running" means.

The advise I was given was to let it cycle for 2 weeks with just the live sand. Is it ok to put the rocks in this weekend? Are those levels normal at this stage?

austinsdad said:
What is "running"? Sand in there? Any rocks? I'm wondering what's the source of the ammonia.

Sounds like you need to refer to our articles section on Cycling a SW tank. Might need to just add your rock and cycle the tank. Not sure what "running" means.

Sorry running basically meant plugged into the power :(.

You will pretty much want your tank finished just without livestock for cycling so all your filtration and pumps running with all rock and sand added

Edit* Like Austinsdad Sed your best bet is going back and reading up on SW cycling

I have read it and although I understand the process and know my tank is no where near cycled. I will be adding the rock this weekend and testing again and again before I put fish anywhere near it or my clean up crew.

If its no where near cycled, add the rock and cycle it.
Also you said yuo let it cycle for 2 weeks. How? What is the ammonia source?

austinsdad said:
If its no where near cycled, add the rock and cycle it.
Also you said yuo let it cycle for 2 weeks. How? What is the ammonia source?

I was told that initial 2 weeks was to condition and test the new tank (when I say new I mean never used before) and filters, bio balls, skimmer etc. then start the cycle with cured live rock I am now at the part where I add the rock but tested out of curiosity and the fact my tester turned up. I was surprised to see any ammonia in the tank unless it came from the live sand as I have no other source in the tank apart from my hand from time to time.

I will stick the rocks in on Sunday and then leave it a few days and test again to see of the process has started. If anyone has any advise or words of wisdom from experience I am happy to learn.

I'd put the rock in, read tha article I suggested and add grocery store shrimp to cycle.

I'm concerned about what you said you were told above. I wouldn't listen to that source much anymore if I were you. "Live sand" is not enuf to cycle your tank.

austinsdad said:
I'd put the rock in, read tha article I suggested and add grocery store shrimp to cycle.

I'm concerned about what you said you were told above. I wouldn't listen to that source much anymore if I were you. "Live sand" is not enuf to cycle your tank.

How long do I leave the shrimp in. Is it just a case of testing it until the results are right then take them out change 10% of the water and we are good to go. Or do I only leave the shrimp in for a day or two?

Leave the shrimp in there long enuf to get the ammonia up to 4.0 or higher and remove it. It'll drop as the nitrite starts to rise. After both get back to zero, change the water and begin adding cleanup crew and fish - slowly. What the ammonia as you add fish. Shouldn't see any. If you do, you're adding fish too fast.

Did you really read the article and understand it like you said? :) :)

Leave the shrimp in until your nitrIte spikes and both it and ammonia go to zero. Then your nitrAte should be high. You will then do a large pwc to get the nitrAtes down and you will be ready to add fish....etc. My build thread is in my signature and details every day of my cycle in my 29 gallon reef.

This could take weeks and yes test you water until your nitrites and ammo are gone and nitrates spike then change enought water to bring the trates below 5ppm which could take multiple changes

@austinsdad, why not leave the ammonia source in until you replace it with another. The BB should be readily converting the ammonia put off by the rotting shrimp. When you add the new fish/inverts they will be the ammonia source. Not questioning you since you have way more experience, just want to know.

I agree, shrimp can be left until ammonia and nitrites are reading zero. You need to keep on feeding the bacteria until there's enough to handle the ammonia being put off by the decaying shrimp and the bacteria will reduce ammonia to zero. Remove the ammonia source and some of the bacteria can start dying off. Everything needs to eat to survive.

Guess that's fine, but once the ammonia gets that high, that bacteria will consume it all I'm thinking. Once all zeros (nitrite too) you'll be adding fish to produce ammonia. If not fish right away, you can drop a bit of food in every couple days or so to keep the bacteria feed.

And believe me, that decaying shrimp will smell so bad, you'll want it out. Also after that long a time as you suggest, the shrimp'll likely dissolve into a hundred pieces and be messy.

I'm just not agreeing that the ammonia/rotting shrimp stays in there that long. And I'm also thinking it'll take even longer to complete the cycle that way too.

Removing it at 4.0 or so has worked for me 3 or 4 times.

Fair enough. Bottom line, if you dont wait to long to add fish, you will be ok. Everyone has there own method and many work.

Thanks guys, a few things I have to bear in mind, this tank is in my girlfriends living room so smelly decaying fish might not be a good idea. But more importantly we were told that a high level of ammonia would kill of the bacteria on our cured live rock, is this true. I dont want to waste money buying live rock just to kill it off cycling the tank.

Thanks again in advance.

Back
Top Bottom