First time 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a ten gallon that was going to brackish. After seeing how there really isn't much to go in it I thought why not just saltwater. For a tank that size do I really only need a power head in addition to the normal hardware? Would I be able to keep a clownfish and some kind of goby? So my question is is it really worth it to try this out? I don't want to spend hours researching only to find it would be a horrible first saltwater experience. I have experience in freshwater and if I was to do this, it would be limited to ten gallons. Thanks for the input!

I'm doing exactly what you're talking about.

Had a spare 10G, wanted a Clownfish, got one, wanted corals, got some...

It's REALLY not as hard as people make it out to be.

It REALLY is as expensive though...

I think I spent around £250 on just the initial setup.

If you've got the time and money, I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What cost the most money? For a small tank it sounds like there really isn't much different from freshwater except for salt I guess.

Lighting and ro/di water are the biggest expenses compared to fw

I don't plan on doing corals and would just keep it FOWLR. Would the costs be too bad for that?

FOWLR tanks basically are just like freshwater. The only difference is like was already said, wanting to use ro/di water to keep nitrates down. There isn't really a ball of moss that will help control them like in freshwater tanks and the algae growth can easily get out of control.

I'd always thought a ten gallon would be a ton of work but as I research more and more it is identical to fw like you said. Is there some sort of catch to a nano fowlr?

Long as weekly water changes are kept going it should be fine as long as you stock appropriately. There aren't too many nano fish to choose from. Everyone wants a huge tang or something else that just won't be able to survive in a small tank. People tend to forget that some of these fish get huge or travel huge distances in the oceans and seas...compared to freshwater sources which can be much smaller.

Yes like hank said you can really only have 1-2 small fish in that size tank. IMO the inverts are the star of the show in small tanks like a 10. Look into some interesting shrimp, urchins, crabs etc

As already said, for a FOWLR, you're basically just running a FW tank that you add salt to.

My biggest costs were the Lights and Powerhead.

Both of which don't need to be fancy on a FOWLR.

Well as long as I can convince my parents, I plan on making this happen. Any articles you recommend reading up on first?

Well as long as I can convince my parents, I plan on making this happen. Any articles you recommend reading up on first?

I pretty much read the entirety of MrSaltwaterTank.com when I got started.

I know Mark also has a range of books for pretty much anything you'd need to know.

Back
Top Bottom