Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think 45lbs of rock is a good start for a 37g tank, I'd probably aim more for 50-55lbs but you can add base rock anytime you want if you feel the need for more rock.

A 4 bulb light fixture should allow you to keep most corals, the more light demanding ones can be placed higher up in the tank.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just checked reef cleaners out for dry rock, and 50lbs is on sale! So I always see everyone doing a part live part dry rock to cycle. If I cycled with only dry, really my only drawback is time, and I add ammonia and introduce coraline algae correct?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nix the last post. I'm going Friday to get 50 lbs live rock dirt cheap. The only problem is keeping it live! I'm thinking rubbermaid storage bin, and a cheap PH i have lying around. Does this sound about right? Will I need the heater and light as well?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You would need a heater if the water is going to cold, like if you keep the rock in the garage or something. It should keep for a couple weeks if kept aerated and heated. No lights are needed, who wants the extra algae? LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Build paused Apparently I need tires, and it's about to be snow time. It's when I plan on spending money that things come up where I need it for something instead! At least it was before hand, not after I spent it all
Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I suppose I can still plan I'm toying with the idea if doing a tank-bred only stock. This obviously limits my options to very few. It seems clowns, dottybacks, a few gobys, blennies, and some randoms are my choices. So I'm thinking this will probably end up being an understocked tanks. No worries though! I'm also going to attempt all aqua cultured corals, and possible all base rock and deal with a very long cycle. I watched nemo and that's all that I can think of:/ I'll probably post a list of all that I can find that I enjoy, and if someone could make suggestions Quite a few of these fish are listed as semi-aggressive so I'll need some help! Also I've been looking at the ORA website and LA, if there are any good sites with more options please let me know!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I've looked at thatpetplace, LA, ORA farms, and bluezoo aquatics. If anyone still has suggestions, by all means But these are what I have found, and would like some suggestions/critique on.

Skunk clown
Maroon Clown
Neon blue goby
Kauderns Cardinal
Orchid Dottyback
Rainfords Goby
Springeri Psuedochromis
Tiger Goby
Striped Blenny
Banded Sleeper Goby
Yellow Assessor
Watchman Goby
Mandarin (couple varieties)

And the only CUC I was able to find were peppermint shrimp, and trochus snails.

Again these are what I like and not what all would go in the tank, and I realize mandarins are insane difficult, and I wouldn't be permitted one for a year or so with limited success rates. But it would probably ordered from ORA if that's anything.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice list! I would think twice about a maroon clown though, supposed to be very aggressive.

and yep, in my opinion a mandarin is a wait and see kinda fish. I have an ORA blue mandarin who didn't eat prepared when i brought her home. It took over a month to get her fully on frozen food. In the meantime I had pods in my tank so she barely got by.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking I needed a more aggressive clown if I went for the dottyback, something that can hold his own. Or is my train of thought completely wrong, and I really need something that backs down and runs? Whichever way what is the best clown cause I'm really leaning towards a dottyback, I like the coloring and they plus the clowns seem readily available tank raised.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespenguin
I was thinking I needed a more aggressive clown if I went for the dottyback, something that can hold his own. Or is my train of thought completely wrong, and I really need something that backs down and runs? Whichever way what is the best clown cause I'm really leaning towards a dottyback, I like the coloring and they plus the clowns seem readily available tank raised.
All Clownfish are aggressive so just add the dottyback last and you'll be fine

Tags
30 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com