First Time Aquascaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any tips or advice for a first time saltwater aquascaper? I got my 75 lb shipment of "Reef Saver" rock from BRS the other day and after throwing a few ideas around this is what I came up with.

ForumRunner_20130615_124213.jpg

ForumRunner_20130615_124229.jpg

That looks good so far. But I would try to create more spaces in between to let water flow through. :)

Thanks. Do you mean to add more spaces like the one on the right or..?

Yes. Just 1-3 inch so most fish can swim through. It's looks cool when fish go through them and it doesn't restrict water flow.
Nice rocks keep posting pics...

Alright, cool. I'll mess around with it some more today and tomorrow. Ill also be adding more rock in a couple months so ill have to move it around again haha but ill see what I can come up with for now.

Ideally you want the rocks placed in a way so there are spaces crevices and caves .

1) the water flows freely around them ,
This helps with natural filtration.
2) plenty of hiding places for tank mates
3) If planning on placing corals it will give you places to place ones that require allot of light close to the top and lower light on sand bed with overhangs to shadow .
Ill add a picture of mine .
Kept in mind mine is only about 3-4 months since being cycled

Alright, cool. I'll mess around with it some more today and tomorrow. Ill also be adding more rock in a couple months so ill have to move it around again haha but ill see what I can come up with for now.

image-1521381678.jpg

I tried to get a few good pictures of rock placement

Attachments

• image-3206796232.jpg
    image-3206796232.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1431605786.jpg
    image-1431605786.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 136
Very nice. What are you doing to build the bacteria in those rocks? You did very well with the placement! Some small adjustments for flow will make it perfect.

Very nice. What are you doing to build the bacteria in those rocks? You did very well with the placement! Some small adjustments for flow will make it perfect.

For bacteria ?
I cycled the tank with all the rock in there ,
I don't understand what you mean ?
And small adjustments for flow ?
I have stronger flow above the anemone ,
It seams he likes the current through his tentacles ,
If I move the power head higher he will stand it rather then spread out .

For bacteria ?
I cycled the tank with all the rock in there ,
I don't understand what you mean ?
And small adjustments for flow ?
I have stronger flow above the anemone ,
It seams he likes the current through his tentacles ,
If I move the power head higher he will stand it rather then spread out .

I started this tank and ran it with only sand , live rock and a 2 pieces or raw shrimp to start the nitrification cycle ,
You need the shrimp as a ammonia source ,
Which turns to nitrite then to nitrate .
I cheated and used bottled colony nitrification bacteria ,
It helped speed up the process and it skipped the nitrite stage .
I didn't put any live stock in for 2 months .
When I was sure the cycle was complete .
I've been adding slowly since with weekly water changes to keep all parameters in check ,
Mainly nitrate

So you just redid your aqua scape after cycling, if thats the case than you are good. Most people do that first, my mistake for assuming. And I was just referring to water flow getting though the rock at points. It looks beautiful, if you know functionally it works too, than rock on man! Can't wait to see picks as it progresses!

Are you starting your first sw tank ?
What are you planning on stocking with ?

No, I just don't update my profile. Too busy with water changes. Lol. Right now I have a 35 gal and a 120 gal. Got back into the hobby at the first of the year.

So you just redid your aqua scape after cycling, if thats the case than you are good. Most people do that first, my mistake for assuming. And I was just referring to water flow getting though the rock at points. It looks beautiful, if you know functionally it works too, than rock on man! Can't wait to see picks as it progresses!

No . I added all the sand and rocks ,
Then mixed the salt and run it for a week to key everything settle ,
Then arranged the rocks as they are then added the shrimp to start the cycle . The rocks have been the same .
I was to the understanding if I move them now that could cause a mini cycle to start and ammonia spike could kill allot or everything in my tank .
Don't quote me on that and I'm sure there is more experienced people to correct me if in wrong .

Ideally you want the rocks placed in a way so there are spaces crevices and caves .

1) the water flows freely around them ,
This helps with natural filtration.
2) plenty of hiding places for tank mates
3) If planning on placing corals it will give you places to place ones that require allot of light close to the top and lower light on sand bed with overhangs to shadow .
Ill add a picture of mine .
Kept in mind mine is only about 3-4 months since being cycled

When I got home today I went straight to my tanks (as usual) just too see what's going on. While I was gazing at my rockscape, with intention to adjust and keeping in mind what you said, I realized the pictures I posted didn't really show any caves or crevices or barely any spaces in between the rocks. BUT there actually are.. You can barely see the crevices in between the rocks but believe me, they are there. As for spaces, I did move the rocks around a bit and was able to create some smaller spaces but there are about 10 total (that I can see in person). Id just like to say I dont really like large arches and gaps as they stick out a lot and dont really look all that natural to me.. Anyway, here's a bunch of pics I just took:

some gaps/spaces/cave

ForumRunner_20130617_215553.jpg

more spaces/gaps

ForumRunner_20130617_215723.jpg

another cave/some smaller spaces

ForumRunner_20130617_215829.jpg

more spaces/caves

ForumRunner_20130617_220025.jpg

lots of surface area and note the shaded areas..

ForumRunner_20130617_220140.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130617_220317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130617_220317.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 83
When I got home today I went straight to my tanks (as usual) just too see what's going on. While I was gazing at my rockscape, with intention to adjust and keeping in mind what you said, I realized the pictures I posted didn't really show any caves or crevices or barely any spaces in between the rocks. BUT there actually are.. You can barely see the crevices in between the rocks but believe me, they are there. As for spaces, I did move the rocks around a bit and was able to create some smaller spaces but there are about 10 total (that I can see in person). Id just like to say I dont really like large arches and gaps as they stick out a lot and dont really look all that natural to me.. Anyway, here's a bunch of pics I just took:

some gaps/spaces/cave

more spaces/gaps

another cave/some smaller spaces

more spaces/caves

lots of surface area and note the shaded areas..

It looks weird just cause the rocks are clean and white ,
Are you planning on doing a bare bottom or a sand bed ?
Have you started to cycle yet ?

It looks weird just cause the rocks are clean and white ,
Are you planning on doing a bare bottom or a sand bed ?
Have you started to cycle yet ?

haha I actually really like the white and how "clean" it looks.. I will be keeping it barebottom and the tank is cycling.

haha I actually really like the white and how "clean" it looks.. I will be keeping it barebottom and the tank is cycling.

Keep us posted with pictures ,
I think it would be hard to keep them clean and white .

Keep us posted with pictures ,
I think it would be hard to keep them clean and white .

I'm definitely not trying to do all that work to keep them white! Lol I'm planning on getting a bit of cured live rock to seed this rock and am looking forward to coraline algae taking over!

I'm definitely not trying to do all that work to keep them white! Lol I'm planning on getting a bit of cured live rock to seed this rock and am looking forward to coraline algae taking over!

What are you planning on stocking in it ?

Back
Top Bottom