Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First time cycling tank questions, water test results (pics)

After adding live rock/sand/water Tank is now clear!

Live Rock has no significant life on it and is still real white in color. There are a couple smaller pieces that have a little purple but just a little bit.

I had the liverock in trash cans in my basement for about 3 months while setting up the tank. When I first put the live rock in my basement it had lots of purple/bacteria but now it looks dead and turned white, guesing from no light?

Here are my water test results-
Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 8.2, Phosphate 2, Calcium 460

Suggestions please, what should I do, wait..., buy some live rock -errh, add shrimp, run lights a little bit?

Here's a pic, below- (still setting things up) Here's a earlier photo- http://partydamage.com/fishtank/09.jpg

Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The coralline will re-establish over time. I would add a shrimp as a fail safe measure, just in case the rock isn't enough to start a good cycle. The 'scaping looks awesome by the say.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you got the $$ adding more LR will only help the tank.. Toss in a shrimp also and let the games begin.

Question: why all the heaters in the tank?

with a sump you can have them there so you don't have to see them.. What size tank.. looks like a big one.. 180?

Phosphate -2 what type of water are you using? Hopefully it will go away as the tank matures..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
Question: why all the heaters in the tank?

with a sump you can have them there so you don't have to see them.. What size tank.. looks like a big one.. 180?

Phosphate -2 what type of water are you using? Hopefully it will go away as the tank matures..
Yes, heaters are already moved to the sump. Didn't have water in it at the time.

Its a 180 and 40L gal sump. I rinsed the sand with tap water thats probably where the 2 Phosphate came from? I have a direct line (80 feet long) from my RO/DI unit (in basement) with a float value in my sump. Works perfectly! No extra pump needed either. Thanks for the complements!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Please help me understand my water parameters.

First water test was taken 2 days after setup.
Results Again: Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 8.2, Phosphate 2, Calcium 460

Second water test was taken 5 days after setup. (I did clean the bottom of the tank a little about 4 hours before I tested the water if that makes any difference.)
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, PH 8.2

..Not making sense to me. From the readings it looks like the tank cycled already, right? In 5 days? Please help, anyone! I never added any shrimp either.

Greatly Appreciated,
Brent
Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone please help. did my tank cycle in 5 days? can I add some fish now? what would you do? thank you!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No , your tank should take 4-6 weeks to cycle. Did you put the shrimp in to start the cycle.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i tank took 8 days to cycle, not saying thats what your experiencing but thats just what happend, i now i have 2 clowns and a cleanup crew been setup for 3 weeks and everything is still 0 except nitrate which is 5. i did use ls and cured lr which probly sped up my cycle
Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
did my tank cycle in 5 days?
More likely is that there is nothing in there currently to feed the cycle. It sort of burned out. Add the cocktail shrimp to get a strong cycle started. It should take a few weeks.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
so its possible my tank didnt completely cycle if it takes 3-4 weeks? if it didnt then why would my readings read all 0s even with 2 clowns and a cleanup crew for 3 weeks now i test 2 times daily

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, pics, tan, test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com