First time poster. Starting a 100-125 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kampfer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
looking for some pointers.
To begin with, I am really adept in freshwater fish ( I work in a Petstore fish dept. and used to keep multiple tanks going at once) Im looking to take it a step further into saltwater.

My main point of interest is getting a black lionfish and a Moray( snowflake/ honeycomb) and i have just started to look into all the things to get it going. From what i gather, I think im going to run 2 aquaclear 500 power filters and possibly a bed filter on the side. I have Just started looking into all the other parts that are needed for a Saltwater tank ( Protein skimmer, Overflow, Lighting, and possibly a sump) and im looking for some pointers on what is good on the market right now.

What tankmates can go with my 2 points of interest? My brackish snowflake used to eat all my gobies, so i figure they would be out of the question almost forsure. I would like possibly an anglerfish or perhaps a grouper/puffer if possible. Also, if i did keep the Moray would it eat all the clean up crew ( hermits/ crabs/ shrimp)? I am undecided if i want to commit to a reef tank aswell, because frankly i dont feel it would be a great choice if i couldnt have reef going fish/inverts.
Any insight would be wonderful, thanks alot.

Yep Kurt deserves some megga kudos for all the effort he is putting into his compatility chart/article.

The lion and eel will bascily eat anything thy can get in their mouths. While the lion might not bother snails or hermits the moray will. Anything that will fit in their mouths will eventually become food so your only recourse is to stock the tank with fish larger than they could possibly fit in their mouth.

Welcome to AA Kampfer!!! :smilecolros:

Go Q'SharK!!! That would be great! I've been doing this for a little less than a year, but if you need any help on nitpicky stuff while you do the important stuff, lemme know.

Back
Top Bottom