Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

First time salt water tank

Hi all first time marine keeper here. I have a 48Litre tank and i have done my first set of tests. My Ph stands at 8.0 at the moment though i have approx 2 litres of water to take out to lower the salt salinety. My nitrate and ammounia are both 0.

Now my nitrate is at 5 is this to high? Hopefully not a daft question to ask.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Have you cycled the tank? How long has it been up and going?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

it has been runing for 2 weeks. The tank has been cycled water was clear within couple of days i just left the tests for the ammount of time that was suggested
Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Do you have rock in there? Sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

have live rock in and gravel rather than sand
Old 07-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there. The problem with having gravel is some fish like to bury their self like wrasse for instance and would be a bit harsh on their skin. That's if you decide it to have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just want to clarify that you know what cycling is? Your post made it sound like the cycle is the water clearing up. Knowing what cycling your tank means will be the difference between a healthy aquarium or an empty wallet.

Also you original post says that your ammonia and nitrate are 0 but then after you say your nitrate is 5?
Then just to point out, removing water will not lower your salinity, adding freshwater will lower the salinity.

Don't mean to sound rude in my post, just some flags that immediately popped up as I was reading through.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dan thanks for pointing that out it should have been the other nitrite i think it is the other one that is 5. I have go my sality sorted out as well thanks. i must learn to re read my posts before posting them lol
Old 07-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I saw you said you have gravel in your tank , Many inverts along with some fish like to bury themselves , my concern with that is gravel is sharp and can cut up the fish ,

inverts like to burrow through the sub straight gravel will make that difficult ,
Gobies also like to burrow ,

Wrasses don't burrow but they like diving into the sand if they feel threatened ,
they also bury themselves when resting .

Another concern is there are some bottom dweller fish that don't have scales like most other fish , this would be a concern.

before you start buying your stock be sure to research their habits , Example : do they burrow , are they bottom dwellers , do they dive into the sand , do they bury themselves , a lot of fish will also flash off the sub straight ect..

these are all big concerns with gravel , I would be concerned for fish getting cut up , this can scare them destroying their beauty ,

some saltwater fish are considered delicate . I think they all should be considered delicate , I always use the term fragile when talking about fish , this term sinks in because it is seen a lot on packaging ect , people also tend react to that word more .

so in closing please look into the habits of the stock your interested in a long with compatibility and also what size tank is required for that certain fish,

if your looking for a sub straight that really brings out the colors in your tank even fish
I would go with a black sand .

Happy fish-keeping

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, salt, salt water, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com