First time. Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. First time with saltwater. Don't want to jump into coral just yet. But I am setting up a ten gallon dwarf seahorse tank. I've been doing a lot of reading and learned I need a heater, filter , hydrometer (I think that's what it's called), the salt for the aquarium, live sand, dead rock (i don't want any hitchhikers!) , and what else? I've had freshwater tanks for a long time. Any type of protein I need to put in the tank before I add the dwarves? Thanks so much guys.

you need a refractometer, not a hydrometer. you will need to cycle the tank which takes about a month or so, or you will be flushing those horses down the toilet very soon. the cycle will involve an ammonia source. people seem to like to use a raw shrimp from the supermarket.
you will also need some fake sea fans/gorgonians for the horses to hold on to.

you just turn the powerheads and filters on and let the water sit. the live rock will eventually re-liven up and do its job with biological filtration as well as your filter cartrages will begin to establish its own biological filtration and bacteria growth

Back
Top Bottom