First Time Saltwater Aquarium, Advice Needed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My next mission is more LR (about another 40lb) that will give me 11/2 lbs per gallon. After that another Heater & lights.

By the way, now that I've added a fish What should I be expecting from my water Perameters? Keep in mind that I had to add about 20 gallons of water after installing my sump should that prolong the perameter spikes? And also, I was told that after I adding my first fish that I needed to wait about 3 months before adding anymore Fish or Coral, is this true?

Thanks, David713

What was your nh3/no2/no3/sg when you added the fish? It’s possible if your nh3/no2 is 0 that you went through a mini cycle with the lr you put in. If your nh3/no2 is higher than 0 I’d take the fish back to the lfs and cycle the tank with the shrimp. If it is 0 then you want to test your nh3/no2 levels every couple of days during the first couple of weeks to make sure you don’t have any spikes. (anything higher than 1 ppm)

As long as your tank has fully cycled you could add another fish in a week or so. I wouldn’t attempt any corals for 6+ months personally so you can get your tank fully stabilized and fully read up on the care/maintenance of corals.

I’d also highly consider getting a QT tank so you never have to medicate your main tank, to keep your sick fish from your healthy ones, & to better acclimate and observe new arrivals before adding to the main tank.

From your first post on this thread you mentioned small increases in nh3/no2 but 0 for no3 each time. Did you ever see your no3 rise beyond 10 ppm? You probably had a mini cycle and have enough bacteria in the lr for the 1 fish to build up additional bacteria without a dangerous increase in nh3/no2.

I’d still take in slow during the first couple of months only adding 1 fish every other week or longer if you get a qt tank and watch your levels closely testing at least weekly for ph/nh3/no2/no3. At this point you may want to get a clean up crew as well to keep algae at bay.

With only a couple of fish and sparse feedings you should only see your no3 rise very slightly over the next couple of months. Keep trying to do pwc of 10% weekly or 20% every other week regardless on whether your no3 rises to help keep your other levels like kh/ph/mg/ca/ect. up and stabilize the tank.

DSCN0623.JPG

Here's and update on my tank, added 40lbs more LR. I,m in the process of designing a Light Hood.

Question: It's hard to tell by the picture, but, the LR is starting to get a lot of Fuzzy Brown Algae, any advice on how to clear it up? Other than the algae everything is going fine.

Thanks, david713

Back
Top Bottom