First time saltwater tank, lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzardsky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I'm relatively new to the fish world, I've been keeping freshwater tanks for a while, but recently I got the O.K. to put in a Saltwater tank in my Biology Lab. I'm a high school senior and so these would be kept in a classroom setting. I've already decided NO sharks or pufferfish, as it will just encourage kids to try and tap on the glass or touch the fish or some idiotic thing like that, and obviously that's awful for the fish. If it's not a shark or a puffer no one's really going to do much aside from look at it.

I'm already certain I'd like a snowflake eel. We've got quite a few 50+ gal tanks so that shouldn't be too much of a concern if the other fish we're looking at don't quite get along with the eel, he's my main goal. I've been doing research but finding a lot of contradictory information, so if anyone has first-hand experience with snowflake eels that would be fantastic.

Another possibility we had was getting a tank of Seahorses and Pipefish. I've heard they're varying levels of difficult to care for, from easy to expert, so I'm not really sure on these guys either. I'd love a basic run-down of setup and basic care from someone that's got these kinds of fish as well.

I'm also open to suggestions from others as well as to what kinds of fish we should get, as well as basic supplies that are staples in any saltwater tank!
Also as an aside, all of these fish will have a home outside of the school year and after I graduate, this has already been arranged before even getting the fish, just for anyone that was curious. We've also got a $1000 budget for fish and supplies, so we've got some wiggle room but we can't go too crazy.

I was also told I should ask around on forums and whatnot for cheap supplies, so if you happen to be in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area and looking to get rid of some spare saltwater supplies I would love to take them off your hands!

Thank you very much!
-Blizz

Back
Top Bottom