First time salty needs ideas and suggestions for 30gal tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm currently trying to aquire a 30gal tall on ebay.

Its stand/hood/basic lighting/tank[ of course ]

I want to take the dive [ pardon the pun :p ] into salt-water, and wanted to make this tank a FOWLR tank.

I know hte tall tanks are not good for the gas exchange but I only want to keep one or two small fish [ Maybe Clown Perculas? ] and a few large chunks of live rock and a sand bed [ Should I go DSB? ]

I know, from what I've read around here I'll need to get the following.

Filter[ duh :D ]
Heater [ Another duh :wink: ]
Sand [ Prefered type? ]
Live Rock [ Any particular type I should look for? I like hitchhikers :D ]
Marine Salt
Hydrometer

I'm asking for ideas for the tank, as well as anything else I may be missing. As well as a few pointers for a beginner with a odd tank

Thanks! :)

Don't forget a powerhead for circulation. Test kits if sticking with FOWLR you should have pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (calcium and alk if you want to promote good coralline growth). A protein skimmer would be helpful. Now, if you think you may want to go reef in the future, then plan on more LR, LS and good lighting. If you're really going to stick with FO then you don't have to have the DSB. I'm not convinced that it will have much of an effect in a 30 gallon anyways.

Its not a regular 30gal, as I posted its a 30gal tall so other than a small FOWLR tank theres not much I can do to it salt-water wise.

In the future [ if I get this tank ], once I get used to the FOWLR tanks, I'd buy a good tank for reefer [ Like 55long or larger ].

There's no reason why you can't have a reef tank in a 30 gallon tall. The only downside is less gas exchange at the surface. Many folks have reef tanks that are 10 or even 5 gallons. Good flow, lots of good LR, and frequent small water changes are the key. Put a MH over that tank and you could put just about any coral in it :)

Well I don't know anything about salt other than what I just mentioned.

Which is why I asked if I was on the right track about everything I needed, Ideas for fish, ect.

How much is MH? I can't afford that much, thats why I was going FOWLR.. No need for exceptional expensive lighting.

What made you decide to try SW? That's how I decided what direction to go. I saw a long horned cowfish and fell in love! So are there any particular fish that made you think Oh my gosh, I have to have one of those? Then plan your tank around that. I spent years (very much because I couldn't afford SW yet) researching what kind of fish are compatible with my main goal. If clown percs peaked your interest, I would research all of their specific requirements and go from there. And I know in FW you like crabs... perhaps you should build around those... And of course everyone here at AA can give suggestions too, dependent on what way you choose to go.

Maybe someone should change my user title from Aquarium Advice Fanatic to Crab Fanatic? :D

I wanted to try saltwater because, quite honestly, I find the fish far more unusual and unique [ and there-in, more beautiful ] than freshwater. dont' get me wrong, I won't abandond my freshies! but I just want to move on to try new things and challenges, and I saw this tank on ebay and thought " Self, We're gonna try to get that. and we're gonna try SW "

I Want a small, interesting fish. Since the tank is a TALL and not a standard or long, I know that fish that need alot of horizontal swimming space are and automatic no for this tank. stacking the liverock would also be a challenge since it would be far higher than wide [ Aquarium sealent glue most likely will be required :? ]

Most of the fish that perk my interest would not do well in a 30gal TALL, I was planning .. however.. to do things like shrimp, crabs, snails, ect ect. But I also wanted one or two small fish as well. I thought Clowns might be a good idea because, after I mature the tank I may want to get a bubbletip anemone and see if they would host.

[ Im, PonPon/Boxing crabs.. the little guys that have the anemone's on their claws, I love them I'd like to put them in the tank! :D ]

Clowns would be fine in there. Also you could get a few cardinals- they will school together and stay out in the open much of the time. Green chromis would also be in the same category. I have a personal liking of blennies, Midas in particular. Of course you would have to choose your crabs wisely because they will definately make a meal out of a sleeping fish- HTH

Re: First time salty needs ideas and suggestions for 30gal t

William said:
I know, from what I've read around here I'll need to get the following.

Filter[ duh :D ]
Hmm...that depends on how much LR you are going to have. Since this will be a lightly stocked tank, about 45lbs should do you fine. More would be better, but not necessary IMO. A "filter" isn't necessary on this kind of tank as long as you have enough LR. Power filters tend to be nitrate generators...you want to minimize nitrates as much as possible.
Heater [ Another duh :wink: ]
Yes, gotta have it. I recommend the Won Pro Heat or Pro Heat II titanium heater. These are the best heaters I've ever used and they are not terrible expensive.
Sand [ Prefered type? ]
Yes, you want aragonite sand. If you want to do a DSB, and I would, you'll want to get the aragonite sand with sugar sized grains. A DSB will help you with nitrates as well as adding biodiversity to the tank.
Live Rock [ Any particular type I should look for? I like hitchhikers :D ]
The Fiji rock usually looks good. I think your best bet for good LR would be to check out our sponsor...Liverock.com. He has good prices and everyone who has ordered from him has been very happy.

I'm asking for ideas for the tank, as well as anything else I may be missing. As well as a few pointers for a beginner with a odd tank

Thanks! :)
You'll want to upgrade the lighting that comes with the tank. I would want a couple of 65w PC's at the very least. The NO lighting that will come with the tank won't be enough to keep the LR looking good. Also, as was previously mentioned, you will want to get a skimmer later. I would recommend an Aqua C Remora with a MJ1200 pump for this size tank. I would also get a surface skimmer to maximize efficiency. Hope this helps a little. Don't hesitate to post any other questions you may have.

Clowns would be good for a 30, also I would look at Gobies. Gobies will hang out on the bottom and help clean/stir the substrate. They also have personality, you just have to get past all the constant scowling they do. Mine kinda looks like this :evil: all the time, minus the Santa hat.

Back
Top Bottom