Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
first time setting up sw.

Hello everyone,

So I have decided that I am going to do SW instead of fresh. I have not done either, and I read that if i am determined and willingly I can do it. I have been reading up on some books and mags. But I was just wondering if there is some pointers you guys or girls could give me. I believe I am going to start out with a 40 - 50 gal tank. no reef, just some Fiji rock. and I think the fish i am gonna start out with is a lunare wrasse, trigger, cardinal fish, and some clowns. Please let me know what you think, and if I am headed in the right direction much will be appreciated.

Thank you.

kilab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Read the forum over as much as possible would be my first piece of advice. Lots of valuable information! The trigger deserves a larger tank than 40-50 gallons...more like 75. Plus it's somewhat aggressive to be considered with those other fish. Wrasse, cardinal and clowns should be fine in a 40-50 gallon. Please do a fishless cycle...more humane and great benefits when done correctly. You can find information on this in the articles. Most important though is research, research, research. It will save you time, money and heartache. If you have questions ask them here as there are many knowledgable people who respond rather quickly to questions. 8)

smn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!!!!!!

If you can manage get at least a 55. The fish you have listed are a bit much for that tank. Shawn is correct the trigger will need a much larger tank. Even if you get one that is small now it will grow. Keep that in mind when looking at fish. Go to the articles section of this site and do some reading, I promise it will help eliminate a lot of headaches!

Clown(s) and the cardinals will do well in the 55 along with several other interesting fish. Do as much reading as you can and ask a lot of questions! We will help you as best we can and offer suggestions.

Again welcome to AA!!!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com