first time testing alk, calcium - results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested KH/alk & calcium for the first time today. What do these results mean for me?

KH: 11.2
Alk: 4.00
Calcium: 310
pH: 8.0

I'm looking to get this tank up to reef standards. I have a bottle of "Reef Advantage Calcium by Seachem" that I can add to bring up the calcium, but thought I'd check in here first to get the lowdown on these results. Thanks.

What kind of calcium is Reef Advantage Calcium by Seachem? s this calcium carbonate, calcium chloride, or something else? The label doesn't really seem to say. It does say this:

Reef Advantage Calcium is a non-caustic optimized blend of ionic calcium designed to...

I have low calcium and high alk, so it is my understanding from the article linked above that I don't want to add calcium carbonate.

Reef Advantage Calcium is calcium chloride product with a few extra's thrown in. This will help raise the Ca levels in your tank. Calcium carbonate is not an additive. It's what carbonate/bicarbonates (reef buffer) form when incorporating calcium within the system or deposited by CaCO3 organisms or through abiotic precip usually as a result of heat.

FWIW, if using a properly balanced saltmix, that is usually the best means of bring the waters chem back into ionic balance through repeated water changes. Then maintenance is going to be much easier. As Billyz suggested, two part liquid additives are typically easier to use over the long run unless you have heavy depletion.

What levels (alk/Ca) does your saltmix test at?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom