first time with saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redskull1944

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would call myself an intermediate freshwater hobbyist with the several tanks I've maintained over the years. I am doing my first saltwater tank it is a 55 gal acrylic. I am going along the budget build route and buying parts over time. My overall goal is to have a shelf of live rock in the back. Here's what I have so far.
Emperor 400 biowheel filter
300w submersible heater
2x 24in 15w florescent lights w/ 8k bulbs on risers (I ditched the hoods)

I just bought a hydrometer and will be going to a secluded beach to get some nice sand to clean before I start my water cycle.

I plan on spending/saving $50-$100 a month for upgrades that includes
50/50 florescent bulbs
power head (900-1300 GPH)
digital thermometer
protein skimmer
48" T5 lighting system to replace my lighting

Am I missing anything?
Do I need to put new biowheels or will they just convert over from freshwater?
How much salt should I buy for initial setup?
thanks in advance for your help

If it was me I would not use sand from the beach. Too much of a chance of pollution no mater how secluded. Just get some aragonite sand which is better for your tank anyway. Is this going to be a reef tank? If so you`ll need T5HO lighting. If not then any lighting will do. How much salt is up to you. Why not buy a bucket and that way you`ll have plenty left for PWC`s. The nitrifying bacteria fow FW is not the same as SW. I imagine you can just rinse off the biowheel and start over with the bio wheel.

I'm only considering the sand because I live in Okinawa which at the same note limits me on buying bulk buckets of salt. (the Japanese like compact stuff)
I want to do a reef tank but I know I do not have all the equipment to sustain a healthy tank. So the plan is take the reef build up nice and slow, and gain some knowledge.

I just can't wait to get back to the states where there is a place to get supplies for tanks bigger than 20 gal

Great plan. Do you have access to a boat? I would beg/borrow a ride on a boat and get some sand a mile or so offshore. You will then have some live sand. That does mean you also have the potential for bringing some harmful organisms into the tank, but for a new tank just starting out I think it would be worth it.

Are you allowed to collect any coral rock fraggments from the ocean? Pieces that have broken off during storms would give you some great LR to start with too and between the sand and rock you have your cycle started.

You could then ditch the Emperor too as it won't be needed. Perhaps sell it for a few buck to add towards other items. The biowheel should be fine. Once in SW it will be colonized by sw bacteria. It should not need to be replaced, though they do eventually get torn or stop spinning and need to be replaced.

Is the hydrometer a plastic swing arm or a glass floating rod? In either case I think you should add a refractometer to your list.

As you are planning on mixing salt, you should also consider adding a RODI unit.

Welcome to the Saltie side!

the entire island is surrounded by a reef I was planning on going about 100-300 feet out for the sand in a secluded area of the island. I was planing on going after some live rock fragments, it is illegal and wrong to go down there with a chisel and hammer. I picked up a coralife brand swing arm hydrometer. What would you suggest to replace my emperor for? I have had good sucess with that filter on a planted fw tank but sw is a whole new game.

With 1 1/2 - 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank capacity there is no need for the Emperor. The rock and sand become your biological filter.

You just need to do water changes of 10% per week, or 20% wvery other week to keep nitrates down. That can also be accomplished with a refugium containing some macro alage a/o a deep sand bed (4" or more).

I picked up a 4400 lph (1162 GPH) powerhead on the clearance rack for $45. I should be starting my water mixing during the week my choices for salt are tetra brand and redsea due to immediate availability on the island.

I've never used Tetra brand, but I do use Red Sea Coral Pro. Either one should be fine. Mix it to 1.025 SG and let it mix at least overnight (24 hours preferred). You can then test all the parameters and see if it is hgh or low in any areas and adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom