Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #21
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

But, like I said previously, its all about what you want to do. I have my first soft coral, a kenya tree, and some look at it as bad because its brown and grows easily. I enjoy it and it isn't hurting what im trying to do in my tank. So, if you haven't already, figure out exactly what you want and do the research. Im 2 months in on salt water and still haven't finished researching. There is always something new and cool.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yash - I pick up an api kit and a refractometer as joy suggested.

I wasnt planning on going to petsmart or petco for my stuff. I'll mainly have softies? With two clown fish for some activity and movement in the tank. "Softies" Is that the correct slang around here haha. My light is the marineland reef light i believe the par is 130 at 12 inch. My tank is only 16 in deep. I like the look of 4 in of substrate so i should get that that par or better. Does everyone think I should be fine for softies with this light? I know if i ever wanted to expand to other corals i would need to upgrade and either have 2 of those lights or pick up a 2 bulb t5. If I get around to it i'll take come pictures of my tank. It will look pretty lonely with nothing in it though.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #23

Quick question- So someone is having a moving sale and has a ton of stone. I asked them if it was live rock and they said it was just coral not alive. Does this just mean it had been taken out of there tank for a while and most or all of the stuff died on it? Also, If i used this instead of life rock to start my tank would it eventually turn to live rock as bacteria and other things settle into the rock? Just wondering because they were offering it for a good price. Like $1 - $20 a piece depending on the size. They also have 160 pounds of crushed coral substrate. Would i be better off buying new?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No. The bacteria in there is dead, if it came out of a tank or the sea and hasn't been in saltwater everything has died off. Even when shipped, LR is wrapped in wet newspaper, styrophome...many other ways of keeping things moist. If you like what you see, by all means buy it. If you want it to be live again, get a piece of live rock and toss it in.

I personally dislike the crushed coral. It limits what you can have in your tank. That and any "live sand" will have some beat up coral and shells in it giving it a cool look imo. Anyway...160 pounds of it?! What were they doing, using it as their own bed rather than a sand bed? That is a rediculous amount unless their tank was huge...like over 100 gallons.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rock will eventually become live rock once it has been in your tank awhile. I really don't care for crushed coral substrate because it traps uneaten food and can cause nitrate spikes and if bad enough can cause ammonia to spike. I get all my rock off craigslist, swaps or forums rather get it from the store.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah like everyone said it will eventually become "alive. The substrate is really your decision.
If you want your live rock to have colors like orange or purple or w/e, make sure u get some rock with Coraline on it and it will spread
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #27

Snipe- Thanks for the quick reply. I had to laugh about the sand haha. They had 155 gallon salt tank. My plan was to look at it and see if any of it looks cool and has a porous surface. If it did I was gonna buy say 20 pounds of it or 2/3 of my tank. Someone local is selling live rock for $3 a pound and I would fill in the rest with that. Roughly a total of 40 pounds of rock. For the substrate at the lfs they were selling "live sand" would that be a good idea along with the live rock to help with the first cycle to speed it up? Also, over time the dead rock should become live again as new bacteria and stuff from the new rock and sand settle correct?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #28

Dang you guys reply fast. I finished one message and had 3 more. I think i'll go with the dead once alive rock and throw in some live rock and live sand. Getting excited!! not much left to buy.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

"live sand" at your local
Lfs will get pretty expensive, members on here use pool sand sometimes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

3 bucks a pound? Forget the dead stuff, get all live! The more LR you have the faster your cycle will be. It sounds to me that, and I may ahve already forgotten the size and I'm guessing wrong, but you have a similar sized tank taht I started with, which is 36. I threw 50 lbs of LR into mine and once I got the cycle started it flew. It was just getting it there due to Fedex murdering my box and there being little die off.

As for live sand...every person ehre will tell you that there isn't anything live in it. I agree with this. That sand has been locked up in a bag, air tight, and sat on a shelf. The only thing I like about it, and why I bought it, is because I thought it was cool to have sand with beat up coral and shells in it.

As for the dead coral, yes it will become live again upon being in the tank witht he LR, sand, and/or just the cycle in general.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com