Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #31
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolopy409 View Post
not much left to buy.
Famous last words.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank

Famous last words.
There always that one thing hahaa

Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #33
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah...since getting started I've spent 2k. I have a kenya tree and 2 clown fish, one with ich... Having trouble keeping it balanced since I use bottled distilled and pre mixed saltwater atm. My household water isn't fit to drink, let alone have fish swim in...my well is below a field where farmers use...a special substance that brews behind their barn that is filled with something shovelled from behind cows...I'll let you use your imagination...

But, my next purchace will be a DI/RO system.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Yeah...since getting started I've spent 2k. I have a kenya tree and 2 clown fish, one with ich... Having trouble keeping it balanced since I use bottled distilled and pre mixed saltwater atm. My household water isn't fit to drink, let alone have fish swim in...my well is below a field where farmers use...a special substance that brews behind their barn that is filled with something shovelled from behind cows...I'll let you use your imagination...

But, my next purchace will be a DI/RO system.
eBay has one for 65 or so
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HAHAHAHAHAH Thanks guys. I wont be starting the cycle until after christmas.
Heres the almost done list
-Heater
-koralia pump
-api test kit
-hydrometer
About 75 bucks on amazon for all of it. After christmas i'll do the 2/3 live rock and substrate and add the water and let er rip. Getting pumped.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just a heads up, I'd put your sand in then the water. Here's why. Once you have your sand laid down, take either the bag it came in or a trashbag and lay it down across the sandbed. Then pour in your water. Instant perfection, no need to wait for your sandbed to settle. Don't fill it up to the top though, putting your rocks in will of course displace the water you already have in there.

Where is your filter? I'm assuming your koralia pump is your powerhead. You need a temp gauge of some sort, i'm a fan of the ones you stick to the outside of the tank to keep stuff out of my tank. I'll take a picture of mine and post it when I get home so you can see how easily your tank can get crowded with equipment. Just waiting for all of my sump setup to arrive so I can put it together and clean my tank up.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #37

Great idea about the bag. Should i put the rock in before the sand so it is more stable in case the sand moves? The koralia was one of those that stick on with a magnet and circulates the water. My first was a marineland emperor 400. It has 2 bays each with a bio wheel. I was thinking about only using one bay with a filter and filling the other with some type of beneficial media that i was gonna ask later down the road.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #38
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ya, the koralia is your powerhead. I am running a 750 and ordered a 450 for behind my LR to get rid of dead spots. I wish you luck with your biowheel. I had 2 marineland ones and both pumps blew out of them...one in under 24 hours. Others have much better experiences with them, so I chalk it up to petco. I had both pays opened up until i got my T5 light and now I'm running an open top. both bays on mine were taken up by my biowheel/filter, powerhead, UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, and heater.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #39

Here is a picture of the bays i was talking about. I hope i have good luck with it.I could always take out the bio-wheels if necessary and use a media in one of the bays. My tank all lonely in the corner. Its a 40 gallon but technically 36. What size koralia should i get?
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/owner/Desktop/New%20Folder%20%282%29/P1030388.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/owner/Desktop/New%20Folder%20%282%29/P1030389.JPG[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030388.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	64898   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030390.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	64899  

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #40
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ill look at it when I get home, can't do social networking at work.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com