Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just realized i can directly upload a picture so there it is. I plan to stack the rock in the center and lower to the sides to hide the HOB filter, kinda like a mountain but from back to front in a U shape. Havent seen one like it and it kinda sounded cool.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #42

Up coming equipment I'm getting as a gift. What are your thoughts.

- Hydor Koralia 750
- Fluval M 200 watt heater
- API saltwater master kit
- Hydrometer

Today going to pick up some base rock that came out of 155 gallon salt take if it looks good. Probably enough for half my scaping. Then after Christmas pick up remaining live rock for $3 pound locally and sand and put it all together. 20 days feels like so long

Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #43
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I love my 750. Gives great movement to my tank. Im thinking i accidently bumped mine as my pH has dove quickly. But yes, those are all excellent pickups. When you get your powerhead, make sure it is making good ripples on the surface of your tank so you can get fresh oxygen in or your pH will dive like mine.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #44

Snipe- I'll def look for that..thanks for the advice. I think with the 750 making a current as well as the bio-wheel splashing i should have good oxygen in the water.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #45
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, I have a filter, UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, and my 750 creating movement in the water. If I did bump my 750, the before mentioned aren't doing much. I'm going to readjust when I get home from work and move the air intake from my skimmer out the window to get real fresh air rather than the stuffy inside air. If you have anything gas powered in your house, like my furnace is, it will add CO2 to the air in your house and cause a pH drop.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #46

your awesome snipe thanks for the help. Just called my lfs about rock and stuff. They sell live branched coral rock? or is is branched rock? for $10.99 pound. Good bad? Also Ro/Di water is .50 a gallon, Premixed Ro/Di saltwater is $2 a gallon. Sound reasonable?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would assume that it was branched coral of some sort...not really sure...but that sounds really expensive to me. I got 50 lbs of the stuff for 200...but the fiji i got from my lfs was 20 a piece. Depends on where you get it from and the look you are going for.

As for water, I am currently using premixed. My house water isn't fit for human consumption and I'm not the best at making sure my measurements are accurate...even if I do it multiple times. I'll be diving into the realm of mixing water in the next week probably.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would recommend mixing your own water, just get a garbage can and throw in some salt (depends on how much water you are making) And ur powerhead to mix
It all up.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #49

I bought a few pieces of old coral? That is what they are right? But i thought it looked pretty sweet so I had to buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030391.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	65147  
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #50

Looking at it some more it might be to much to have that and then add the live rock. Any thoughts? Maybe move that large fan shaped one to the right corner then the branched one all the way to the left and infill between with live rock and take out the small piece on the left.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com