Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Morning everyone. Small update to anyone following. This has turned more into a journal for now. I'm one step closer to finally setting up tank and ordered

- Hydor Koralia 750
- Fluval M 300 watt heater (instead of 200) was a $1 more.
- API saltwater master kit
- Hydrometer

Everything is coming between the 19th and 22nd. So it looks like I'll be setting it up after Christmas around new years.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good, keep us updated

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #53

Alright, everything comes early next week. I also found someone taking down a 150 gal reef tank to move who is selling his live rock for $3 lb. What would be your picks for best substrate. I want to start off with live rock and maybe a fish and in a month start adding coral. So i will have fish, live rock and coral in the end keep in mind. I was thinking a thin layer of crushed coral? or maybe a slightly bigger grain size of sand. Will be buying the sand this Friday so PLEASE throw your thoughts and personal bias and opinions out.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #54
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Gratz on finding such a deal on LR. Once you get it set up, make sure you post pictures.

In terms of substrate, most people (including myself) prefer sand over crushed coral. The most voiced opinion (and only one I'm concerned with personally) is that extra food and other wastes gets stuck in crushed coral easily and ends up effecting your levels. Even though most will voice against "live sand", I picked a good amount up for my tank. This gave me the "natural" look that I wanted in terms of sand and having some crushed up coral and shells in it., but not enough that it would cause an issue with nitrates. Some will say that using other sands will do just fine if cleaned well, but I have no experience with it. If this reef tank that is being taken down is selling his LR, you might want to ask him about his substrate and if he would part with some of it as well.

Hope the setup goes well. Get enough LR in your tank from that large setup and you can set yourself up for a shorter cycle.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #55

I wanted to go the same direction you did with the sand and mixing in some live sand for the natural look. Also i think im only buying 35-45 pounds. I don't want me tank over crowded with rock. I like the more open look.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #56
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have pictures up in the member showcase if you want to look at it in terms of sand and maybe even rock.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #57

Finally everything is set up.I'll post a picture when the water settles and I rearrange the rock. Question on the cycle though. There is about 45 pounds of live rock. Actual live rock as i took it from his tank and kept it submerged in his water. The guy I got the rock and water from said my cycle should only be about 1-3 days. I am using his established rock and his water from the tank the rock came from. What are your thoughts? I figured there will be some die off do to sloshing around as i drover around Buffalo back to my place but besides that its pretty much the same tank right?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #58

rearranged the rock this morning(not this photo) but the water is cloudy what are your thoughts on the the rock?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030393.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	66605  
Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #59

First time

Some pictures of the coral so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0452.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	67131  
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #60

can anyone tell me what thats called?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com