First timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I bought the saltwater aquarium for dummies and I also bought this one.

Attachments

• image-968971628.jpg
    image-968971628.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 50
So I started reading the SW aquarium for dummies, I'm couple pages in to chapter there and so far a lot of info on stuff u should know. I would recommend this book.

So I was just at my LFS and the lady gave me an awesome idea. Make ur own live rock if u have time to wait. I have time to wait so I'm going to go buy a 40 gallon breeder and put like 5-10 lbs of live rock and how ever much rock that will work to make ur own. Instead of $8 a pound for rock or $2-$3 a pound. Something to think about.

I mostly use base rock myself and seed it with the live. I have over 500lbs of rock I'd say in total but only purchased about 30-40lbs of live to get all that. LOL Definitely a money saver. After a few weeks it will be "live" and after a couple months you wont be able to tell the difference.

Yeah, I think I'll go with that idea too. I need to save money. How much base rock and how much live rock would anyone recommend?

Well start out with 5-10 lbs and couple pounds of a rock that the live stuff will make a home in. And make the saltwater and a breeder or big tub and a HOB filter and a grow and keep the tank about 72-75 degrees and feed it a little do a water change once a month. I would do a little more research but that's what the lady at my LFS told me. I'm going back in Friday to get a tank and water

What's a refugium

It's a part in your sump, or can be separate, where you grow good algea, get filtration, and grow things to feed your fish with. I've heard of people using a HOB to grow things. It basically gives shelter.

Since I'm not housing any fish or coral she said ui should have something and HOB will work but no carbon. I don't have anything else for SW and it cheep.

I don't quite understand. I'm having a reef tank, and my filtration is going to be a sump. But that's mainly because I have such a large tank. How big is your tank? 40G? You should talk with some members on here. You could probably make a 10G sump or something.

75 with 40 gallon sump with about 20-30 gallon of water in the sump.

I'm buying a 75 gallon SW ready tank and a 40 gallon breeder tank for my sump and ill buy some kind of a protein skimmer and return pump an etc

Fuge? Sorry haven't much time to do more research or keep up on this stuff.

Oh ok well I don't plan in having my tank set up for some time but I figure I will have enough time to make at least 150 lbs of live Rock

Back
Top Bottom