First timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guy554

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone:

I am new to the SW field and I am looking to set up a 75 gallon SW predator tank. I have been told different things and have read different things. I guess i am asking what do I need to make a healthy and happy environment. I have two FW tanks and in one of my tanks i have a canister filter and the other tank i have HOB filter. My LFS told me i could go with and HOB. If I am going to do this SW tank im going to do it right and make sure i can provide the fish with everything they need. I don't plan on getting this tank set up for about a year, I am going to do a bunch of research on different fish and coral and all that good stuff.

So do I go with a sump or no? Protein skimmer or a regular filter? Lights? etc.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!!!

Welcome to AA!
I'm more of a freshwater person, if you have any questions regarding your freshwater I'll be more than happy to help, also post pics!
I'm starting to see that MTS starting to kick in, lol
Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome but I have been apart of AA for sometime. Ik a fair amount about FW but not SW. But thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome to AA! I'm also a beginning a 210G SW tank. My suggestions is to invest in a sump. Especially for something large, like my build. Get you a Refugium so you can grow pods and other good plants for filtration! Stay in contact with me, maybe we can help each other out.

Sounds good KPhilly. I would go bigger but I don't have that much room, I already have a 30 and 45 gallon FW. What kind of fish u have in yours? I want a Lion fish and since I want that my LFS says then it will be w predator tank.

Sounds good KPhilly. I would go bigger but I don't have that much room, I already have a 30 and 45 gallon FW. What kind of fish u have in yours? I want a Lion fish and since I want that my LFS says then it will be w predator tank.

Fortunately, my LFS works with me on payments. I'm putting a huge down payment on the tank this weekend. I'm getting a free canopy stand. It's not a financial thing, it's more of an impatient thing with me. They keep my tank until its paid off but I'm bring home the stand. As far as what fish I'm getting, I'm going with a peaceful community. I think my center piece fish is going to be a type of dwarf stingray. Are you going reef?

I think my center piece will be a Lion fish.

I think my center piece will be a Lion fish.

Make sure you read up on them. I read a little about them. I've read that some have died from trying to eat a fish bigger than them and choke. Be really careful handling this fish. Really poisonous!

I was told that if they could fit it in their mouth they will eat it. But I was also told they are and easy fish to care for.

Yep, now that's saying minimum 120 and my LFS Say 75 will be fine.

Yep, now that's saying minimum 120 and my LFS Say 75 will be fine.

It could be! My advice would be to ask around here. Not all but some LFS say "what sells." Personally, I don't know to much about them except for what I have read. I read they kind of hide from light and will eat what fits in their mouth, like you said. They are very venomous for sure.

Yea, thats why I'm doing all my research in way advance

Do u think it would be a dumb idea to get the book call " saltwater aquarium for dummies"?

Yea for $17 u can't go wrong. Ill try and find other books to.

Back
Top Bottom