first timer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chireaux

Aquarium Advice Regular
starting a tank this weekend, I have a lot of questions and would appreciate any response. I am just starting with a 55 gal tank (pic attached), 4 basic shop lights, base rock, a 110 aqua clear hang on filter, powerhead (didn't buy yet), substrate (didn't buy yet).
in the future I will upgrade lighting and add more live rock and corals etc..but right now just trying to get the thing started.

Here are my questions so far:
1) Does this set up sound reasonable or am I totally off base?
2) What else do I need initially that I'm missing? (I know Ill probably need heater/thermometer and refractometer)
3) Is $3 per pound unreasonable for base rock? I know I may get it a little cheaper but would like to support my local fish shop.
4) How much base rock should I start with If I intend to add LR later?
5) Will base rock eventually become the same (aesthetically speaking) as LR?
thanks in advance for any responses

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 104
Size is good always better with a larger tank because their is more room for error than a smaller tank. $3 live rock sound ok I guess I seen cheaper and more expensive. Why not go with a canister filter this way you can add a uv sterilizer if u want, protein skimmer, it's easier when you have these inline. But you can get all hob version but then you see everything. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

If your going to go LR. I wouldn't go base rock. Buy live rock all the way you'll be much more happier you did

Hi there welcome tot he forums!

Nice new tank good choice. Yes you can make base lock "live" by buying some LR as well. It will catch onto the base and in a few months you won't be able to tell the difference.

The HOB you got is fine, AC makes the best filters imo.
I would suggest two powerheads and a protein skimmer since your using a hob filter. Your LR will do 80% of the filtration anyways.
Will you be going reef or just fish? Its recommended to have between 1 and 2 lbs of rock per gallon.
Again welcome and enjoy your new tank!

starting a tank this weekend, I have a lot of questions and would appreciate any response. I am just starting with a 55 gal tank (pic attached), 4 basic shop lights, base rock, a 110 aqua clear hang on filter, powerhead (didn't buy yet), substrate (didn't buy yet).
in the future I will upgrade lighting and add more live rock and corals etc..but right now just trying to get the thing started.

Here are my questions so far:
1) Does this set up sound reasonable or am I totally off base?
2) What else do I need initially that I'm missing? (I know Ill probably need heater/thermometer and refractometer)
3) Is $3 per pound unreasonable for base rock? I know I may get it a little cheaper but would like to support my local fish shop.
4) How much base rock should I start with If I intend to add LR later?
5) Will base rock eventually become the same (aesthetically speaking) as LR?
thanks in advance for any responses

Sounds like a great plan to me thus far.
1) Totally reasonable.
2) RODI system or source and test kit along with the thermometer & refracto.
3) Totally reasonable
4) 1# per G is usually a good fudge start. 1/2 that with base, 1/2 LR would do well IMO.
5) Yes. Smart way to do it as long as you cycle properly and stock gradually.

If your going to go LR. I wouldn't go base rock. Buy live rock all the way you'll be much more happier you did

Why would someone be happier spending more money if it were needlessly? As long as the load on the tank is built up gradually it's all the same pretty much.

live rock to me equals pods, worms, feather dusters etc.
bacteria will populate anything in time, even a plastic scuba diver bubbler

but i'll never consider that plastic scuba diver "live",

LR can also include fire worms, gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp and an assortment of other nasties.

You intend to add LR later?? how much later? You will want to add it to the tank in the beginning, if you add it later it can cause another cycle in the tank, which isn't good if you have fish, corals, or invertebrates. This can be avoided if you cycle the rock in a separate tank before adding it to the main display, or if the rock is bought cycled.

I really like the tank, stand is beautiful. Remember to try to pick out nice pieces of rock with holes and caves, i see so many people buy just dense chunks of rock that don't look too great (they are also heavier than the holey pieces and therefore more money!)

KMS...I see what your saying. I do intend to add fish soon and corals at a later time, so I guess its better to buy all your base/live rock at once and be done with it.

One more question, Is any certain type of lighting necessary for LR or is LR not dependent upon light?

thanks everyone for the advice

I've added LR later after having fish in the tank already. Two things to help that out. One would be putting it in a tub of saltwater (heated and with flow) and test until ammonia is at zero. The second is simply only adding a piece or two at a time.

you really don't need any live rock, but if you want the diversity, like the previously mentioned pods and worms and such, then you'll have to add them at some point. i would use as much base rock as you can to save money.

live rock doesn't need any light to be live. already mentioned above is that the important part about it is the bacteria, not the presence of photosynthetic creatures.
as for the difference between live rock and a plastic scuba diver bubbler- the scuba diver will never have anaerobic zones and will never process nitrate.

A few more random questions

Heres where Im at. 55 gal tank, I have 60 lbs Live sand, 25 lbs base rock, saltwater. Aquaclear 110 is running and a koralia 1400 powerhead.
my spec. gravity is 1.023

1) Is the live sand enough to cycle the tank? Im trying to build up ammonia right?

2) When do I add critters? Should I do that now? ...
3) When do I start adding fish?

4) Also I bought water at a place called windmill express where you fill up your 5 gallon containers. It supposed to be rev osmosis filtered and also filterd a few other ways. Should I still add Prime to the tank. The local fish shop sold it to me bc I was originally going to use tap water. Im leary about using it and not sure if I need it now. Is it safe now that I have added sand and rock?

Also I still plan on getting protein skimmer as someone suggested and will be getting a test kit soon. thanks

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 54
what i would do is add about 30-40 more pounds of that base rock, then add an ammonia source, like some rotting fish or even pure ammonia. i don't think the live sand will start the cycle. what the rock will do is provide ample surface area for a bacteria colony to grow. the more rock you have, the healthier your tank will be, within reason (you don't want so much rock you can't provide decent flow in the tank and limit dead spots).

do not add any livestock to the tank until it's completely cycled. this may take a few weeks. adding livestock early will definitely put them in a poisonous, and possibly deadly environment.

if you are using R.O. water you won't need the prime. i would invest in a T.D.S. meter. it's a small device for checking total dissolved solids in water. they are like 15-20 bucks. you can get them on ebay.
you can use it to check the water you are buying to make sure it's good to use.

Back
Top Bottom