Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to csquare77 Send a message via MSN to csquare77
Thanks for the help and patience guys, because im really comming from a freshwater angle on this. But it seems pretty easy, you just have to be careful whith water changes, and not to stock too quickly.

I never imagined to have that many snails, thanks for the heads up.

Sounds good with the filtration/circulation.

I forget do you do water changes during cycle for SW?

Im gonna keep my fish count down so the maintenace down, I have an Oscar so he'll keep me real busy.

And with LR from what ive goten is to add a little at a time after cycle; how long would it take dead rock to get cultured from a piece of LR? Lets just say the rock is the size of a softball.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
YOu might want to look into a RO or RO/DI water system. Tap water contains a lot of bad stuff and the RO system would help cut down on bad stuff goign in and therefore it would help to treduce algae breakouts and what not. These systems run $100 on the low end.

I would reccomend a protien skimmer especially if you are goign to have fish. Many people have different opinions on skimmers but I hear that the Aqua Remora C is the best out there. IF I had to do it over again I would get that skimmer cause the SeaCLone that I have sucks.

Try to keep up with your PWC. If you do you will probably be fine and not have to worry about too much. But I would still get test kits to test: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, PH, PO4 and ALK.

Definitly let the tank cycle with no fish. Get it set up and get the water in. Then order or pick up the live rock and put it in. The tank will start to cycle then. Let it go until the cycle is over before addign fish or a clean up crew. THen wait another mounth or so before you add coral.

Good luck. Just remember that it gets expensive quick.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Quote:
Originally Posted by csquare77

I forget do you do water changes during cycle for SW?
Nope just keep the same water in the tank till the params get to normal, then do a large water change.

I use tap water and havnet had anyproblems this far. I think it really matters what area you are in. But dont take that as go ahead and use tap water. If you can afford the RO/DI unit definatly invest in it.

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to csquare77 Send a message via MSN to csquare77
Yah i'll ask the lady at one of my LFS I know her well and we'll see how the water around America's home town is...

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com