fish at lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to lfs today and saw a pair of mated false percula clowns. They arrived in store on 09/26. I really like the fish and am thinking about them being the first fish my tank. My concern is the lfs, the people seem very knowledgeable, but I have seen dead saltwater fish in their tanks before. Also, today, there was a beautiful naso tang and it was at the bottom of tank sideways and trying turn itself but it couldn't. I couldn't bare to watch it struggle. I asked the guy there and he said they received him yesterday and he is having trouble and they were going to put him in the sick tank. What do you think? Should I purchase the clowns from there? They looked pretty healthy. I am still nervous about getting fish.

If you want them badly, ask them if they will take a deposit to hold them. My personal thoughts on it is if you have a bad feeling, pass on them.

Also, one question, how do you know they were a mated pair? Be warned that just because they may be swimming together in the tank, does not make them a mated pair.

Ask them to put them on hold for x # of days to be observed. Many LFS will do this with a small or no deposit. Make sure you ask to see them eat as well.

Heck my pair of maroon Clowns came from a Petco after I made three trips back to check on them. Currently the longest fish I have had at 2.5 yrs and doing great.

Hopefully you plan to QT them when you bring them home and then you will not risk introducing any disease into your main.

HTH,

I agree with the others that there is reason to be concerned here. Observation is needed.

My plan was to observe them for 10 days and ask to put a deposit down. I will be putting them in qt. The label describing the fish says they are mated. They are being sold together. The price is $63. Is that an ideal price?

Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes the LFS will get fish that are already sick, due to capture or shipping. I also like to observe the fish over about a 2 week period. To be honest, I'm not sure how to tell if they are mated, maybe some one can elaborate....

Sounds good and price is OK. Usually on a mated pair one is pretty much bigger than the other. As Mrs Hara said just because they are in the same tank doesn`t mean anything. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom