Fish before CUC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepmefromdrowning36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I figured I'd buy my fish first until I read last night to get some clean up crew first. I was also told to get cheap damsels to cycle my tank. If I'm cycling now w no fish do I still start w them?

I figured I'd buy my fish first until I read last night to get some clean up crew first. I was also told to get cheap damsels to cycle my tank. If I'm cycling now w no fish do I still start w them?

IMSO don't cycle your tank with damsels. You can use a cocktail shrimp. Don't get a CUC yet either. Wait it out. Get the tank cycled. You really don't need a CUC anyway.

The biggest thing is to be patient. But I really wouldn't use damsels. They are very aggressive and nasty little fish and can be a nightmare to catch.

IMSO don't cycle your tank with damsels. You can use a cocktail shrimp. Don't get a CUC yet either. Wait it out. Get the tank cycled. You really don't need a CUC anyway.

The biggest thing is to be patient. But I really wouldn't use damsels. They are very aggressive and nasty little fish and can be a nightmare to catch.

I don't need a CUC? How do I keep the sand bed clean of old food and fecal matter algae and what have you?

I don't need a CUC? How do I keep the sand bed clean of old food and fecal matter algae and what have you?

Water changes, sand sifters like stars, certain snails will do some work for you. A CUC can be helpful don't get me wrong but if your cleaning the tank well you really don't "need" them but they are nice to look at.

Back
Top Bottom