Fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenmaster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a large tank and was wondering the order of introduction to the tank.
What ones first, what ones last, and what multiples should be added at the same time?
Bartletts Anthias
Yellow Spotted Anthias

Bicolor Psudochromis
Diadema/Purpleback Pseudochromis
Neon Dottyback
Orchid Dottyback
Flame Cardinal
Bangaii Cardinal
Spotted Cardinal
Ochre Striped Cardinal
Sankeyi Dottyback
Australian Black Percula Clownfish False Percula Clownfish
Sunshine Chromis
Blue Mandarin
Target Mandarin
Flaming Prawn Goby
Orange Firefish Goby
Purple Firefish Goby
Yellow Clown Goby
Long Nose Hawk
Geometric Pygmy Hawk.
Blue Hippo Tang
Hawiian Yellow Tang
Six Line Wrasse
I know it's a long list... I plan on having some mated pairs as well but just a gerneral rule as like "ABC fish should be the last to be added" this is not my first saltwater tank but it is my biggest. Also this will be a reef tank so if any raise a red flag that I didn't catch please let me know Thanks!
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]

How big is this tank? Because that is heaps of fish. I estimate at least 250-300G would be needed. Maybe more.

Both Mandarins need to be introduced last AND at the same time to prevent fighting

Tank is 72"Lx28"Wx38"H 300gal +
I have 575lbs of rock in shipping ATM (may not use all rock for tank but I want to be able to pick and chose)

Ahh good. That's enough room. The Mandarins, as I said above, need to go in last (preferably after a year of the tank running) for there to be enough of a coepod population to support they're feeding. The Sixline Wrasse may complicate this as they feed on pods with a vengance. So maybe do away with one Mandarin or the Sixline.
I think the Tangs need a late introduction also, and at the same time, so they don't stake out territory in the tank and then attack newcomers to the tank which swim in the territory. Also releasing them at the same time helps prevent fighting, although since these tangs have different body shape and colouration I doubt there will be much, if any fighting between them.

It doesn't really matter when you add the clowns but I recommend that you add them at the same time and if possible, buy the Black Ocellaris and the False Percula's already paired. Also try and release them at opposite ends of the tank so they don't notice eachother, as some fighting might ensue. If you can't buy them paired, get one of each that is noticeably larger than the other, as this will reduce fighting also.

Bicolor Psudochromis, Diadema/Purpleback Pseudochromis, Neon Dottyback, Orchid Dottyback
Six Line Wrasse
The psudochromis and Dottybacks are the same family of fish and they are very territorial. The most peaceful in the group are the Orchid Dottybacks and I would try to get one male and three females instead of all the other mix. Of this group the Bi-color is the most territorial. You have got to make a choice, either a Mandarin or the six line wrasse. They both compete for the same food and the Mandarin will lose as it is a very slow eater. It eats allot of cocopods, but it does so slowly and all day long. They are starting to sell tank raised Mandarins so your best bet is to get a pair of tank raised Mandarins or at least one male and one female Mandarin the type of your choice. You can basicly add the Tangs at any time as long as you add them together.

Back
Top Bottom