Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish Died

I have a 14gal tank with some LR, 2 Clowns(well one now), 2 Camel Shrimp, Snails, crabs, some mushroom corals.

Everything has been going great with the tank, since yesterday some yellow polyps I had closed up and no longer are out and normal as usual. Tonight I noticed one of my clowns swimming on its side and darting around then he would fall down to the bottom, then pop back up to the top. Then eventually died. Any input of what could have caused this would be great. The other clown is doing fine so far. Is the problem possibly the nitrates? Ammonia? I did do a water change tonight and after my salinity level was just over the red. I took some out and added fresh water and I got it back down to 1.033. Just worried why the fish died and maybe it was just something wrong with him, nothing else seems to be affected.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #2

correction 1.023

Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Have you tested for ammonia or nitrates? When and how did you cycle? Just wonderin since you think you may have ammonia. Otherwise, real hard to say why your clown died and inverts and other fish are OK.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As Ray was asking, what are your current ammonia and nitrite levels? It's hard to pinpoint the COD without those readings. You did good by doing a water change as a precaution. If it was ammonia or nitrite poisoning, that may have saved your other tankmates. If you don't have a testkit to test all of those, don't buy another thing until you do, that is one of the most important tools you need to keep a tank.

Edit: Also, if your keeping corals and inverts, a salinity level of 1.025-1.026 is great, it helps them regulate their body functions better and your fish won't mind it
Old 04-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I too like Ray want to know if you cycled the tank. That would cause elevated ammonia and nitrite readings. We have a good article on it in our articles section.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

My wife went to the pet store today and they tested the water she didnt get the actual readings but they said everything was within normal range. I mean this could be normal to them but not normal for my whats in my tank, I dont know. Maybe the fish was just sick?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcb8642 View Post
My wife went to the pet store today and they tested the water she didnt get the actual readings but they said everything was within normal range. I mean this could be normal to them but not normal for my whats in my tank, I dont know. Maybe the fish was just sick?
I'd stop getting other people to test your water and start doing it yourself. It will allow you to pinpoint problems and you will have piece of mind knowing that your readings are your own and are not biased or misinterpreted. The lfs may be telling you its fine to get you to buy more fish, then when they die and you go back for more, they have repeat business and your none the wiser.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree.

I've had multiple tank problems and TWO stores have tested my water wrong.

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com