Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Good video on YouTube on fishless cycling:
YouTube - Cycling your Aquarium: Chapter Three: Fishless Cycling (v.2)

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
anm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So as I mentioned a week or so ago, the 2 fish I had died. Instead of dropping in a shrimp as suggested here, I let the dead fish remain. 3 days later they disappeared! I noticed some of the sand had shifted and saw a thumbnail-sized crab that must have come w/the live rock. Not sure if the fish dissolved while I was away from home for a couple days or the crab got to it...(haven't seen the crab since that day).

In any case, I've tested the water regularly and have not seen any ammonia or nitrite readings. Nitrates are constant at 20. These have been the readings since right after I setup the tank and added the two fish two weeks ago.

The 20 lbs of live rock came from a tank at the lfs and was out of water for no more than 30 mins. Any chance that my tank won't see an ammonia spike? Or should I add that shrimp now just to make sure?

There was some sort of invert life on the lr (haven't had the time to figure out what it is--brownish w/a dozen or so "arms"). A few days ago, the arms seemed to be out stretched and would quickly pull in momentarily when I turned the lights on, but now they seem retracted all the time.

Thoughts on what I should do? Obviously don't want to add any fish until I'm sure its cycled.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
i think its a good idea to add some ammonia yourself. make sure its pure ammonia. windex wont work.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Actually if you already got the LR from LFS and it's cured, you hardly would see the ammonia spikes high like the rest who got the uncured LR, which means the LR has been out of the water for sometime. However, you still have to keep testing the water. Once your Ammonia and your nitrite readings is 0, do about 33% PWC for the first PWC to bring the nitrate down. I don't think you want to add the shrimp since you already have the dead fish, cause last time I added Shrimp and my ammonia never spiked either.

Time for some experts to chime in as well. IMO, I think you should give us the readings of the ammonia and nitrite, once it's 0 for both for about a couple of days, do PWC.
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
anm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry--should have been clearer. I did the first test a week after setting up the tank. The ammonia and nitrite readings were 0 and have never gone up. Nitrates have been about 20 and may have increased slightly.

If it has, in fact cycled (or didn't need to b/c of the lr), then I should be able to add a cocktail shrimp or fish food flakes and see just the nitrate levels rise with no material change in the other measures, right? Any other way to verify that the cycle is complete?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
...then I should be able to add a cocktail shrimp or fish food flakes and see just the nitrate levels rise with no material change in the other measures, right?
That's correct! Even if the rock wasn't cured originally, with the amount of time that's passed with lots of ammonia sources, it's probably "live" now.

Tags
die, died, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com