Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
anm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish died week after setup!

I have a 20 gallon hex tank. I set it up a little more than a week ago with live sand. A couple days later (now exactly one week ago) I got two fish (yellow-tailed damsels I think) that the fish store characterized as starter fish good for cycling the tank. Also added about 20 lbs of live rock.

Everything seemed to be going fine. Fish seemed active all week. Yesterday morning I took out the Penguine power head and put in a Koralia nano and Koralia 1. Yesterday evening, one fish was on the bottom on its side. This morning both appear to have died.

I have a several years beyond indicated expiration date Wardley test kit. According to that, Ph is 8.2 (79 deg), Ammonia is 0.25 ppm, nitrite undetectable, and nitrate at 20 ppm. Specific gravity is between 1.021 and 1.020.

I assume the tank could not have cycled within a week, right? So perhaps the test kit (b/c it is so old) is giving incorrect results and the ammonia or nitrite levels are actually higher?

The only other thing I can think of is that the change out of the pumps caused the problem. While there is clearly water circulation with the Koralias, they don't break the surface like the penguin. Does this mean that there is not enough air exchange (esp. since this is a hex tank).

Any thoughts?

Is the live rock in danger of dying off? (Much more costly to relpace than the fish...).

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
ignore the lfs as far as using fish to cycle your tank. It is cruel to the fish and will kill some fish....read the articles on FISHLESS CYCLE. As far as your test kit....buy a new one. Pumps probably had nothing to do with the deaths, unless the are leaking electricity. Your LR will have some die off but that is normal during the cycling period. I am sure others will chime in for anything that I may have missed or stated incorrectly.

Welcome to AA...Please read....ask questions and enjoy...Many Experienced and helpful friendly members here!!! Enjoy the darkside!!!!!

Barry

Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
contrary to what the live sand bag says, there's no way your tank could have cycled in a week, simply by adding live sand. your fish died because you didn't cycle the tank properly. get a new test kit and wait at least a month before you add any more fish.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree The fish died of ammonia poisoning because your tank was not cycled. This is one of the reasons you should not cycle with fish. Read this and cycle the fishless way and you`ll be doing it the humane way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I agree The fish died of ammonia poisoning because your tank was not cycled. This is one of the reasons you should not cycle with fish. Read this and cycle the fishless way and you`ll be doing it the humane way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html
I whole heartily respectively disagree...

I have 6 healthy happy damsels living ammonia in excess of 3.0 with no problems. I would suggest getting your livestock from a different source; clearly the fish store you are patronizing does not sell quality specimens.

Remember no quantifiable evidence has ever been produced that a fishless cycle is any better than a fish cycle. In all reality those fish would have more than likely died in any tank.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
you're putting your fish through a cruel experience. no one said fishless cycle is better, but its a heck of a lot less cruel.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 View Post

Remember no quantifiable evidence has ever been produced that a fishless cycle is any better than a fish cycle. In all reality those fish would have more than likely died in any tank.
What you dont seem to realiize is that neither one as far as the cycle is better than the other. The difference is the humane way vs the unhumane way. That is the only difference. You have no evidence to prove otherwise. Even your old quote from doctor fenner was proven that he has changed his mind and admitted he was wrong.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
What you dont seem to realiize is that neither one as far as the cycle is better than the other. ....
I think 919 realizes this, but what's the fun to agree with all of us?! Some folks find causing problems much more enjoyable than giving unbiased advice.

While I agree that cycling with fish isn't the way to go, assuming your test kit is correct and you were truly dealing with 0.25ppm ammonia, I have to agree that your fish were more than likely not in too good of shape to start with. That small of an amount of ammonia in that short of time shouldn't bring down a fish that quick... unless it was on its last leg/fin to start with. There's no way to say one way or another what killed the fish... sometimes you just get unlucky. But cycling with it sure didn't help it's chances..
Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
anm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks all. Very helpful info.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think you get the point anm. I would read our article on fishless cycle and start over on the cycle. You`ll need to remove the fish you have though to a QT or ask your LFS to hold them. Good luck.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
die, died, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com