Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbone112219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been giving some thought to make my own fish food for my tank. Anyone ever try this or does this?

I have some clowns, yellow tang, a bi color and some coral frags.

Looking for some input on a good mixture.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I have been giving some thought to make my own fish food for my tank. Anyone ever try this or does this? I have some clowns, yellow tang, a bi color and some coral frags. Looking for some input on a good mixture. Thanks in advance!!!!

if you hunt or fish you can use deer liver or heart, and parts of fish. We fish with deer liver and the belly meat from catfish as bait, depending on what the fish bite. I'm planning to mix these two together along with a few veggies for some cheap DIY food.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out

You're welcome. I see that you have this in the saltwater section. I am a freshwater keeper my self. My only concern is the fish not getting quite everything they need, but you can always add in store bought food to be sure. You will still cut your coast. Especially if you harvested the meat you're self.

I'm glad that video helped you out.

I have a salt water and fresh water tank. I am looking into this more for my salt water tank

I have a salt water and fresh water tank. I am looking into this more for my salt water tank

I would love to have salt water, but I can just do way more for the amount of money with freshwater.

And by the way that DIY fish food won't crumble up like flake or pellet food. It literally makes it into jello. That is the main reason I want to try it.

The best bet for diy fish food is to go to the store and pick up fresh seafood. Stuff coming from the ocean is by far the best bet because it has more nutrients than fresh water fish. Throw it all into a food processor to get it all into bite sized chunks and then stick it into a ziplock bag, flatten it out, then freeze it.

You can add vitamin supplements or garlic to the mix if you'd like. Just make sure to freeze it before feeding to avoid parasites.

One of these two books has some suggestions:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marine-aquarium-handbook-martin-a-moe/1112027061?ean=9780982026212

The Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems under 15 Gallons by Chris R. Brightwell | 9780793807178 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

I think it's the first one, though I don't have it with me at the office to check. (Dumb office rules don't let me keep nano tanks at my desk)

You can also use PE Mysis frozen shrimp...my fish (fresh and salt) LOVE that stuff..

Thank you for the info. I will look into that book.

Just with anything it seems that there are lots of ways to get things done and all have so many different ways to get to the same goal.

Back
Top Bottom