Fish for my 7 minibow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I know some of you guys may disagree, but I have to have a fish in my 7 bow. It is a fish tank, and I want a fish. Actually, I want two of them. I know one will be a clownfish, just because I want it to host in something. My second thoughts are a purple firefish or just a regular one. Do you think this is a poss.? I am looking at getting a seaclone skimmer in the next couple of months.

Wouldn't one fish be pushing the bio load on that small of a tank? Let alone 2 fish? The clown is a decent sized fish, 2-3" when grown I beleive (correct if i'm wrong guys =D)

I've forgotten the rule o thumb on inch/gal per fish rule but that just sounds like alot of fish for a 7 gallon, how long has hte tank been setup? any kind of live sand or live rock in the tank?

I think a fire fish and a clown will be fine. I know people that keep pairs of clowns in 5g nanos. If not a firefish maybe a bicolor blenny or the like, something that stays very small. Another possibility would be a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp.

I would also recommend going with more of a bottom dweller, or any fish that likes to "perch" rather than actively swim. They can still be quite impressive looking, yet not be stressed by any potential lack of swimming area. I kept a Taenianotus triacanthus (leaf fish) in a 10g for many months before I moved it into a 55g (will become a species tank of them). It was perfectly content and fit the tank well, although it would be a tough squeeze maybe in the mini-bow. The goby/shrimp symbiosis would be quite interesting to watch.

I keep hearing about the pistol shrimp and goby combos! I think it would be too cool! Wouldnt I need to totally enclose the top for the goby?

A neon gobie is a perfect fish for you tank with a clown. They are a perching fish that dont swim much, plus they are very small and have about as much impact on the bioload as a shrimp does. They are very entertaining and very hardy. In my opinion they are a perfect addition to any nano reef.

Just curious, but what is the smallest sized saltwater aquarium you own(without getting COMPLETELY ridulous)
Justin

Well, I would love to get completely "ridulous" as you say. I just saw a nano-in-a-shot-glass. Anyways, I only have the 7 minibow but am really wanting to get a 1.2 gallon tank with a 13 watt bulb all made by JBJ.

Back
Top Bottom