Fish for NEW 65 Gals Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khrizt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm back with another question which can take a very long time to answer, but your opinion and response is highly appreciated.
As you may already know I am about to start my new aquarium, and am in the 'Fish Research' phase, everywhere I read I find a phrase, "pick your most prized fish and build your aquarium around that one." Well I don't have a prized fish, I like the Dwarf Lionfish, Blue Tank, Flame Angel, Clownfish, among other ones.
So I went on this website just looking around and made a list of fish that attracted my attention, and was wondering if anyone had any input, as to which one should be my prized fish, or maybe which ones would go great together, etc.
I am trying to build a nice Reef Aquarium, but would like some nice lookers in there as well, again thank you very much for your time.

Flame Angelfish - Potter's Angelfish - Coral Beauty Angelfish - Striped Blenny - Midas Blenny - Harptail Blenny - Kaudern's Cardinal Black & White Chromis - Agile Chromis - Acares Midget Reef Chromis - Black Axil Chromis Paletail Chromis - Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Ocellaris Clownfish - Yellowtail Dascyllus - Neon Damselfish - Tuxedo Damselfish - Firefish, Helfrichi - Firefish, Purple Zebra Barred Darfish - Indigo Dottyback - Blue Eye Royal Dottyback - Neon Dottyback - Orchid Dottyback - Springeri Dottyback - Red Elongated Dottyback - Splendid Dottyback Striped Dottyback - Sunrise Dottyback - Green Mandarin - Red Mandarin - Spotted Mandarin Scooter Blenny - Pacific Redstripe Hogfish Yellow Candy Hogfish - Jawfish, Blue Dot Jawfish, Yellowhead - Papuan Toby Puffer - Blue Tang - Powder Blue Tang - Cleaner Common Wrasse - Exquisite Fairy Wrasse - Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse - Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse Longfin Fairy Wrasse - Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse Hooded Fairy Wrasse - Leopard Wrasse Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse - Mystery Wrasse

If you were to CLICK on any of the fish it would take you to a picture of them.

I would suggest starting with google, search "reef safe fish" and it will bring up loads of pages that list what can be kept in a reef tank. Some of the links will also give you links to species profiles that outline tank size requirements. In a 65 your pretty limited, clownfish, small gobies, wrasses and chromis. I think there are some smaller tangs you could fit but that would depend on tank dimensions, angelfish are hit and miss and I would caution you there.

you can also eliminate mandarins if they aren't your prized fish, it's recommended you wait until about a year, and even then they take lots of care.

+1 to narrowing out reef safe fish.

I am in the same point of the process as you, except I only have a 29gal so that eliminates alot. But some of those may be too big for a 65gal, so you can eliminate those as well.

Also live aquaria has a decent compatability chart, i would use that to eliminate any others.

Than from your remaining group just pick the ones you like and that should get together. I don't think it is recommend you add them all at once though. the LEAST aggressive should be added first.

kdpuffer said:
I would suggest starting with google, search "reef safe fish" and it will bring up loads of pages that list what can be kept in a reef tank. Some of the links will also give you links to species profiles that outline tank size requirements. In a 65 your pretty limited, clownfish, small gobies, wrasses and chromis. I think there are some smaller tangs you could fit but that would depend on tank dimensions, angelfish are hit and miss and I would caution you there.

I really dont agree with this because there are many fish you can add to a 65 gallon. ANY goby will be ok and you are not just limited to those options. Tangs are not good for this size tank, so i wouldnt even try. I too have a 66 gal and i have so many options that it has been hard to create a stock list. Just make sure the fish are reef safe, thats the main rule! Good luck!

I know there are many I was just listing a few, do the google search and it will be the best start to narrow down your list. Google is usually my first place to look for anything.

Back
Top Bottom