Fish getting stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

So my tank is now setup and running smooth (cross fingers) but I seem to be having a recurring issue with my Maxi Jets in my tank.

My setup is 100G FOWLR and I have 3 Maxi jets 1200s in the tank to create water flow. The problem is I bought a dogface puffer and he keeps getting stuck to it and blows up which for sure isn’t good for him. Are these a bad brand? Is 3 too much? They are places on each side and one in the middle on the back window. Not sure what do for this … so I am here for all the expert advice!!

Thanks

Shel

3 are too little in my opinion. you need something with a bit more flow to keep detritus suspended until the filtration can remove it.

if that fish can't pull itself off of a mj1200, then i think it's under the weather. i've never owned one, so i can't say for sure, but i've kept many different fish in tanks with much more powerful pumps all over the place and have only seen a fish get sucked into one when it was failing to begin with.

Maybe he was stressed out as he was new to the tank, just 48 hours in. I will keep a close eye.

What do you recommend in terms of flow for a 100g tank?

Is this a 6' long tank?
How much total flow do you have now?
How much LR?
Sand substrate?

3 - 4 MJ1200's should be ok, unless you have lots of LR. You can always mod the MJ's with the Sure Flow to increase flow.

Do you have the strainer on the MJ intake?
All but the smallest fish should be able to get away from the intake unless they are ill.

6 feet yes.
Currently I have 3 maxijets 1200 running. I took one out last night and replaced it with another brand but I dont have the name off hand. I will get that later.
I have a great deal of LR... I would guess about 50-60 pounds... but it could be higher.. I never actually weighed it all.
Strainer on intake? Not sure what that means.. the MJ's are plug in and it works...
I have about 2 inch of sand in the tank. A mix of live sand and substrate I believe.

There's a bottom section that snaps onto the MJ1200 intake that is a slotted strainer to prevent larger items from getting sucked in. The strainer is packed in plastic bag with the other accessories.

60 pounds of LR in a 100 gallon is not a lot of rock. For biological filtration you should be using 1 - 2 pounds of rock per gallon of tank capacity. I have about 185 pounds of LR in my 125, plus another 15 pounds or so of LR rubble. My rock is all pacific rock so it is very porous. I have more than I need, but if it was Caribbean rock it would be about the right amount.

mj1200 are 295 gph. no way are they plenty on a 6 foot tank. with the sure flow mods they are 1600 gph per pump...that's more like it!

Doug, no corals, minimal rock. Sure, it's not 10x - 20x tank volume, but for FO w minimal rock I think he can get by. Adding the mod kit to all the MJ's would be the better way.

Hi Crom

I am home now and I believe that my LR is more at the 100 pound range based on my calculations.

I also checked.. I have 1 Koralia 1050 and the 2 MJs.

What is a mod kit???

Doug, no corals, minimal rock. Sure, it's not 10x - 20x tank volume, but for FO w minimal rock I think he can get by. Adding the mod kit to all the MJ's would be the better way.
i never had so little flow. what happens to fish poop? it just sits on the bottom?

Thanks for all the info guys, I will look into buying that.

Back
Top Bottom