Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish-in Cycle CUC?

So I have a nano 10 gal that I started cycling with some lr... The only problem being a purple dottyback hitchhiked home with me and now I'm stuck doing a fish in cycle! My question is should I put a small cuc in now due to fish waste and what should I feed a purple dotty back??

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyfelts View Post
So I have a nano 10 gal that I started cycling with some lr... The only problem being a purple dottyback hitchhiked home with me and now I'm stuck doing a fish in cycle! My question is should I put a small cuc in now due to fish waste and what should I feed a purple dotty back??
Actually i just saw the purple dottyback eat some of the new life spectrum : marine sinking pellets so i believe that will be okay.

Although i have anotehr questions, is it normal for them to dig? it has dug out a whole cave/ tunnel under some LR. i will post a picture shortly, she seems to sleep/hide in it.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the purple dottyback is eating the new life spectrum : marine pellets so that is good.

Now I am curious, is it normal for them to dig out a cave or hole and sleep/ hide in it? Here is a picture to show what I meanClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390092330.549355.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	217376
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't get a clean up crew they will have a rough time through the cycle. Most inverts can handle high levels of nitrates. If I were you grab some Prime at the lfs and go by the directions so the ammonia spike won't kill him. It's going to be hard on you because you don't want to do water changes during your cycle only after your Nitrites and ammonia has both gone down and you only have Nitrates. Then you will want to do a water change to bring them down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton View Post
Don't get a clean up crew they will have a rough time through the cycle. Most inverts can handle high levels of nitrates. If I were you grab some Prime at the lfs and go by the directions so the ammonia spike won't kill him. It's going to be hard on you because you don't want to do water changes during your cycle only after your Nitrites and ammonia has both gone down and you only have Nitrates. Then you will want to do a water change to bring them down.

Okay i should be able to go buy some tomorrow or the next day, and yeah ill hold off on a water change for a while, maybe just top offs until the nitrates arise?

and so what CUC would you recommend once trates show up?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After the ammonia and Nitrites are zero and your Nitrates are spiked then you will want to start bringing that down through water weekly changes. After you have gotten the Nitrates down pretty close to zero then you are ready for your inverts. I'm not exactly sure in amounts you would need but look into these
Dwarf cerith snails
Nassauris snails (not from ebay)
Turbo snail maybe 1
Asteria snail
And a few blue legged hermit crabs

Check out reefcleaners.org and look at your tank size or can email them and they will send you a list that you will need. You don't have to buy them but you will know and have a pretty good idea.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also a note blue legs will kill larger snails for there shells as they grow so have a few shells available for the wouldn't be a bad idea. I wish I could do away with them but they are very effective.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With a fish in cycle you have to do wc's. IMO i would do one when ever ammonia got above .25 ppm
Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright so now I have conflicting opinions. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But doing wc in your tank is going to take longer to cycle. Maybe take the fish to a friend or to the local fish store.

Tags
cuc, cycle, fish, fish-in, fish-in cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com