fish keep dieing :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyday this week a fish has died Sunday my clown died but I know the reason for Him then sunday night I went out and got new fish corals Monday one green chromis died
Tuesday second one died
Wedsenday last chromis died
Today my favorite died diemond watchmen goby
I don't know how they died though? I tested my water and everything is perfect

First, I wouldn't add anymore fish until I know what is causing the problem. When you say water is perfect, what are the actual levels?

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.1-8.2
Nitrite 0
Calcium 420-450
Phosphate 0
Anything missing?

My salt is 1.23-1.24 and I'm not sure there use to be something moving my sand around when I first put the rock in but it stopped

How old id the tank... Same thing happened to me. Lost my whole crew but my hawkfish, I sincerely feel your pain and frustration. I still don't know what happened to mine. I left my tank alone for 3 weeks, just started stocking.

Kio707 said:
How old id the tank... Same thing happened to me. Lost my whole crew but my hawkfish, I sincerely feel your pain and frustration. I still don't know what happened to mine. I left my tank alone for 3 weeks, just started stocking.

Thxs my tank has been running sense June addedd live rock in late july cycleing finshed late aug

Red44 said:
Thxs my tank has been running sense June addedd live rock in late july cycleing finshed late aug

Could have added to much, to quick. Could be because it was such a young tank. There are a million things it could be. I'd say wait it out. Don't add anything, maybe QT what you got left. I never found out what killed mine. Just don't get discouraged.

First was that a typo on the salinity? Did you mean 1.023-1.024 or is it really 1.23-1.24? Should be around 1.025-1.026. If it is as you typed it, that is what is killing the fish. If it was a typo, I don't think that it is the killer but from what I have learned it should be a bit higher.

Any marks on the fish after they die? If it were a critter getting them I would suspect torn fins, red gills, something like that. What test kits are you using? I use API but after buying them I found out they are not the best. Could be you think you have good readings but something isn't test right. Have you matched your readings by one done by a LFS out of the same water sample?

Oh, and by the way, I love you avitar. Man, anyone who has one that looks like that is really cool. :) hehehehe

rdnelson99 said:
First was that a typo on the salinity? Did you mean 1.023-1.024 or is it really 1.23-1.24? Should be around 1.025-1.026. If it is as you typed it, that is what is killing the fish. If it was a typo, I don't think that it is the killer but from what I have learned it should be a bit higher.

Any marks on the fish after they die? If it were a critter getting them I would suspect torn fins, red gills, something like that. What test kits are you using? I use API but after buying them I found out they are not the best. Could be you think you have good readings but something isn't test right. Have you matched your readings by one done by a LFS out of the same water sample?

Yes it was a typeo I meant 1.023-1.024
And yes all three green chromis were half eaten or cut up but my goby was half under the rock when I found but there was room for him to move

And Im using same API and this other kind to differnt types but I get the same result I aslo took it to lfs a few days ago and got the same reading the only thing that was a little low was my caluium But it's rises sense and thxs

What type of live rock did you get?? Possibly Florida live rock?? They get mantis shrimp - I know, I got two. And they will kill your fish.

Just a possibility.

this sand thing you mentioned, can we have details of how it moved, where in the tank (near the rock or open sand) it often moved in and any ideas on apearance/size?
was in like matis movement or fast worm or mini bug... i have nothing to work with here :p xx

Got most Fiji live rock and I think tunga or bunga live rock and I have thread on the moving it moves in big clumps and I spread it all back I'll be back on after this weekend thanksgiving

Just about to leave but I found a few britles worms and they preety big It could be a fire worm if that could kill them

How about taking a water sample to a LFS and double check your results. It could also be where you are getting your fish at.

That's what I was thinking I went to a new place this time and got alot things cause it was cheap and to far away to to come back to

could have been the bristleworms, they can be nasty apparantly, but dont think that will be the end of...... live rock can be host to many terrors and they could be the nice guys lol.

bristleworms are not going to eat living fish. but clearly you mentioned the chromis were half eaten, how long before you found them. did they die and clean up crew got to them? or were they dead because they were attacked

francis said:
bristleworms are not going to eat living fish. but clearly you mentioned the chromis were half eaten, how long before you found them. did they die and clean up crew got to them? or were they dead because they were attacked

I found one an hour after it's been missing and the two about 6-12 hours after they went missing

Back
Top Bottom