Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Fish keep dying

So I bought my 92 gallon corner setup about a month and a week ago. It came with a large blue hippo and a large tomini tang which I rehomed. Since I have gotten it this is what I've put in:

2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow eye tang
1 flame angel
1 six line wrasse
1 neon dottyback
1 royal grama
1 copper banded butterfly
1 orange dotted goby
1 very large serpent starfish
6 red leg hermits
4 turbo snails
1 orange eye sea urchin

So my fish are slowly dying. First my copper band butterfly died last week. Next one of my clowns went MIA. It was there in the morning happy as a pig in poop, then I left and went to a few lfs's and when I got home 8 hours later he was just gone. That night I pulled all of my rock out and still no sign of a dead fish or a carcass or anything. Nothing in my sump or on the ground around the tank. Very odd. Last night my royal grama died after showing no signs of sickness. Now I notice my flame angel has one cloudy eye. Wtf do I do at this point? My ammonia is at .25ppm or less. My salinity is a little high at 1.024-1.025. Ph is 8.3. Calcium is around 575. I don't want to be the guy the fish at the lfs talk about being the fish killer!! Someone help me out please.
__________________

__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Any detectable ammonia is toxic to fish. Copper banded Butterflies are very hard to keep.
Your salinity is not high. That's about where NSW is. I keep mine at .026.
Your calcium is not 575 either. I'm assuming you are using an API test kit. Notoriously inaccurate...especially the calcium test.
You are going to have to remove the ammonia from the system. I would use an additive like Prime or Amquel to render it non-toxic and let whatever is spiking it sort itself out.
If you just do water changes, the source of ammonia is still going to be there and it will probably show up on your test kits again.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Any detectable ammonia is toxic to fish. Copper banded Butterflies are very hard to keep.
Your salinity is not high. That's about where NSW is. I keep mine at .026.
Your calcium is not 575 either. I'm assuming you are using an API test kit. Notoriously inaccurate...especially the calcium test.
You are going to have to remove the ammonia from the system. I would use an additive like Prime or Amquel to render it non-toxic and let whatever is spiking it sort itself out.
If you just do water changes, the source of ammonia is still going to be there and it will probably show up on your test kits again.

So once I use the Prime that should take care of the ammonia problem or is that just a band-aid to cover it up? Yes I am using all API testing supplies. Last week I had a 620 calcium reading. What calcium test would you suggest? I am very vigilant on doing my weekly water changes at this point in my sw career. I use the orange bucket of reef crystals as my salt.

SIDENOTE: I was at a lfs in Lancaster PA the other day called The Fish Place and they advised against using reef crystals due to not knowing exactly all of the elements used in this mix. Any validity to that?
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Also according to my Coralife digital thermometer, which I keep about 6 inches down from the surface, my tank is at 80 degrees. Is this acceptable for my fish and corals? Would this play any detrimental role?
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you are replacing trace elements with weekly water changes, your calcium level is going to be closer to high 300's to low 400's, depending on your salt mix.
Salifert and Elos make much better test kits. They are more expensive though. All that said, low, or high calcium won't kill fish.

Ammonia will need to be processed. I'm thinking it's because you added 10 fish in a months time. Your beneficial bacteria colony will have to catch up to your current bio load. until then, you'll see ammonia. how much and how often are you feeding?
Cut back on that IMO. That's contributing to it.

As for Reef Crystals, that's completely untrue. It's a fine salt to use, along with most of the others.
If you don't have corals at the moment, don't even bother testing for calcium, alkalinity, or mag. Just test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
You should have zero ammonia and nitrite, and lower nitrate (I would like to see it below 10-20ppm).
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If you are replacing trace elements with weekly water changes, your calcium level is going to be closer to high 300's to low 400's, depending on your salt mix.
Salifert and Elos make much better test kits. They are more expensive though. All that said, low, or high calcium won't kill fish.

Ammonia will need to be processed. I'm thinking it's because you added 10 fish in a months time. Your beneficial bacteria colony will have to catch up to your current bio load. until then, you'll see ammonia. how much and how often are you feeding?
Cut back on that IMO. That's contributing to it.

As for Reef Crystals, that's completely untrue. It's a fine salt to use, along with most of the others.
If you don't have corals at the moment, don't even bother testing for calcium, alkalinity, or mag. Just test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
You should have zero ammonia and nitrite, and lower nitrate (I would like to see it below 10-20ppm).

Once a day I feed a frozen mysis cube and once a day I drop some small pellets. Three times a week I hang half of an algae strip on a clip. I don't notice any fish really eating it but the turbo snails love it.

As far as corals I have:

1 main blue green mushroom colony. It's a 7 pound base type rock that has about 30 dime sized mushrooms. When they open with the light they range from 3-5 inches.

1 2" orange zoa frag with two heads

1 2" green star frag

1 3" gonipora(sp)

Sea cabbage

5 inch colt

Orange richordea frag

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392570414.432692.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	222950Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392570463.864934.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	222951Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392570510.093595.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	222952
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'm thinking it's because you added 10 fish in a months time. ).
I really think it's this more than any thing, your bb can't keep up and the fish probably can't get comfortable with all the new additions. I usually add 1 fish in a month maybe 2 if I'm adding a pair but after you have to let your system adjust. I know it's hard but you have to be more patient, and slow down a bit
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
peterj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: new jersey
Posts: 81
If you only bought it 5 weeks ago its not even finished its cycle and you drop 10 fish in. What did you expect to happen. Take you fish back to lfs. And cycle you tank right. You can find instruction anywhere on the internet. Im assuming you know this because you found this site. There are articles on this right here. People are to impatient to wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Fish keep dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
If you only bought it 5 weeks ago its not even finished its cycle and you drop 10 fish in. What did you expect to happen. Take you fish back to lfs. And cycle you tank right. You can find instruction anywhere on the internet. Im assuming you know this because you found this site. There are articles on this right here. People are to impatient to wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought this and it was a 7 year established tank. I kept all water and sand and live rock. This wasn't brand new. My ammonia has been 0 until yesterday.
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
peterj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: new jersey
Posts: 81
If you fish are dying and you have ammonia its not cycled. Maybe when you broke the tank down you had a big die off in bacteria. Who knows. But when you add that many fish at one time your overloading the system. Api test kits are highly inaccurate for salt water. I have both. Use api for my freshwater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dyi, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!!! My fish keep dying Froggerb Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 9 06-10-2005 09:04 PM
fish keep dying, help! benj316 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 15 12-06-2004 08:54 AM
Why do my snails keep dying? (while my corals/fish do fine) enginbeering Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 2 07-22-2004 03:08 PM
Fish are dying, dying and then dying reefobsessed Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 5 03-26-2004 01:30 PM
Newly setup tank, fish keep dying bpeitzke Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 10 06-03-2003 03:48 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.