Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fish laying weird :/

I got a false percula about four days ago, and for the first two days, he was swimming up at the top,and around the tank, not acting unusual. But today, i noticed that he was laying down on the sand. He would occasionally get up and swim a little bit, but compared to his previous behaviors, the swimming he does now looks harsh and forced, and difficult for him. he is swimming a bit slower, and for short periods of time. At one point he was laying completely on his side.(Note, i do not know if he is a "he" specifically) I checked for white spots and i haven't seen any. My other fish are acting fine, if not better( one fish was cowering in the side when we first got him, but now he is swimming about normally) i have two fish and a cleaner shrimp. One peice of dried coral and barnacles as decoration/ rocky things. No coral or anemones yet. I'm worried he is getting sick. Insight?

brittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
As far as fish sleeping, I do know that dolphins sleep with one half of their brain at a time, which is why they never truly seem to be sleeping but always awake. crazy right? well idk but do fish sleep the same way?

-Brett King
kingman8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
First, it is great you did a search (I can tell since you posted in a thread that is 7 years old!). A little more information: How old is your tank? If new, did you cycle it? How big a tank? What other fish are in there? Did you acclimate him? How did you acclimate him? What do your parameters look like (specifically ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte)?

Sorry for all the questions but the more we know the better idea we can get as to what is wrong.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since it has been a while, let me update you:
My perc has died, along with the other two fish that I had. They all died within a week. I then got two more fish a little later, and they too die.
All my fish acted the same way, they laid down for about a day, had forced and rare movements, didn't eat, and two appeared to lose their color a bit.
When I got my false perc, my tank was about 3 or 4 weeks old.
Its a 5 gallon tank, I know, Small.
With the false perc, there was a damsel, a bangaii cardinal, and a little white goby, adorned with orange spots.
When we got him, we left him in the bag, and set it in the tank to float for about 30-40 minutes, and then put him in the tank with a net.
As far as cycling goes...?
This is my first tank, and I went by what the guy at the store said, and what experience my dad had, with his freshwater tanks when he was a kid.
Now, we are staying away from fish, though I would love to have some more eventually.
I currently have one large snail, a hermit crab, a little tiny tiny starfish, and a cleaner shrimp. We are hoping to get some small soft coral once my tank cleans up a bit.
I looked up everything I could on the internet to see if I could get any more info, and I couldn't find any reports of what was happening with mine.
Let me know if you have any info that could be helpful.
Thank you(:
P.S: I got my shrimp same time as my false percula, and he is doing fine. I got my hermit crab, and snail just after that, and they are both doing fine. I got my starfish as a little freebie from a local fish store who just happened to have a few on the side of his tank. He dissapears for a few weeks , and will reappear on the front side of my tank, and begin circling around again.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
And, when I first went to get them, I asked the store-person if we needed to do anything about the pH levels or anything, and he basically said no.
I was a little unsure of this, but I figured he was the expert, so I went by it.
Once I started doing research, I realized those factors play a big part in the running of a saltwater tank.
Do you think they couldve been the reason my fish were dying?
My temperature is usually around 78 degrees. We have a regulator thing to keep it there.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. First off, I think you may be overstocking. Percs alone need more than five gallons- more like twenty is what I have heard. And with running saltwater, the bigger the tank, the easier it is.

Second, have you tested your water? What are the results?

Sent from my Optimus using Aquarium
Spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You need to test for more things then just ph. You need to buy your own testing kit. For ph ammonia nitrites and nitrates.

Also what are you using for water filtration?
DuBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Phosphate. Too
dadime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

phosphate is more for algae control and for corals, not a big deal to fish

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com