Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Fish list

I will have a 100g reef tank but I want to have a FOWLR first. 150g protein skimmer, around 900gph from canister and hob filter. About 125 lbs of all live rock. Live sand. My current plan is:
A pair of ocellaris clowns
1 purple firefish.
Royal gramma
Flame angel
5 green chromis
Blue tang
Blue spot jawfish
Bangaii cardinals. Idk how many...I would like to have a school though
2 flasher wrasses 1 of them mccoskers
A yellow tang
And for CUC I will get according to what the needs are for my tank, but not too much since my tank will have lots of fish. Thanks to all tips, answers, help, and suggestions!

Fishking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
So 17+ fish?? Way to many, also tangs should be in a 6ft tank. The blue tang gets to be like 14"

95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the tangs are really the largest fish going in and require the biggest bio load also are better suited in a 125g 6 foot long tank.the rest are all small and grow to a max of 4-5 inches.

i'd avoid the tangs but the rest should be alright to have, but dont' quote me as there are more knowledgable folk that know better then i do

also rethink your filtration system, look into a sump/refugium to help keep polutents low and diluted

i've seen people housing more and much larger breeds of fish very succesfully in a 90g so no not crazy
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
You said reef tank there for the fewer fish the better thats all I was saying is six fish is about what you would want in there to help keep your water in pristine conditions...
Feelthereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
That tank is way too small for your entire stock list.
When you see tanks stocked like yours they either replace a lot of fish or have a larger sump than their dt.
As said previously i would start by knocking the tangs from the list as they meed more room to begin with than you can provide. Then coose a few more to take out, repost the new list or do the search yourself at a site like liveaquaria.com
kurtyboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I have to second or third the opinion on the tangs. Get them outta the mix and you'll have some fish space to play with. I know, I;ve seen them in small tanks before too but it's really not whats best for the tangs. Honest.

Otherwise your list looks ok. Not sure you want so many chromis but hey, whatever you like.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Tangs are very prone to ich, that is the main reason to stay away from them in a reef tank. If it is the color you are looking for there are other options. A lemon peel is about the same color as a yellow tang but you are wanting a flame angel so that would be out.

Here is some sumps http://www.aquacave.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=sump
You might want to check into the tunze silence pump it is a great pump for the money.

For the CUC you might want to stay away from crabs if possible they seem to be either bulldozers or snail killers. That being said I have crabs in 2 of my 3 tanks.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
So out of this list, take out the BHT, chromis, and wrasses. And have a few cardinals. Is this better? I should be able to keep a yellow tang because they require swimming space but they don't get as big right?
Fishking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Tangs are prone to stress and along with the stress will bring disease. Ich and lateral line disease is 2 of the most common ones. Ich can wipe out a whole tank and it isn't as easy as treating fresh water fish.

Angelfish are aggressive but a lemon peel is very similar in color to a tang.

I had lemon peel in a 55 gallon but had to remove it because it was to I aggressive for even the clown fish. The tank only had a clown, royal gamma and lawnmower blenny I might just leave it with 3 fish. Now it is in a 24 waiting for a new home.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a bicolor angel, lemonpeel and a coral beauty in a 75 gal and they all got along great. I had them for about 3 years until this recent catastrophe I had to deal with a few weeks ago. I added them with all at the same time and there where no problems aggression. Maybe I got lucky but it went well for me with the angels. I'm not a fan of tangs so I'd vote against that regardless of size. Good luck with what ever fish you decide to go with.

Fishbone13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com