Fish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swiftwing7

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have not created this tank yet but i plan on it being 75-125 gallons. this is a list of possible fish to have in the tank. i don't have to have all of them on here and may not have enough room, but its just a list of what i want. it would be great to get some input on these.

2 royal grammas
1 yellowhead jawfish
4-6 black-axil chromis (they are supposed to school)
1 golden wrasse
1 yellow tang
2 chalk bass
1 flame angel fish
1 dotty back
1 firefish
1 purple fire fish
1 neon goby
1 wheelers watchman goby (and possibly the shrimp that live together in a hole)
1 neon dottyback

i would also like to have a spotfin or zebra lionfish or a type of lionfish but am unsure about which if anya re safe to keep with these other fish. i would also look at at a moray eel, but once again it eats fish so i do not know if i will eba ble to keep either of these.
thanks in advance
-swift

I wouldn't get more than one dottyback either.

sorry, that dottyback was a typo. i'm not just saying that so i sound better. it really was. i only have 1 dottyback on my list. would the eel be a problem? is that too many or too few fish for that size tank? (or just right)

If the yellow tang stays on your list, I'd consider putting him in near last. Mine is very territorial.

Also, you might wanna use the fish calculator. At first glance, this looks like a lot of fish -even for a 125 gallon.

the fish calculator says 24 inches minus the tail. does that mean i cut the fish's tail off??? :D when would be a good time to put a madnarine goby in and what other types of gobies are neat and reef friendly. i am trying tog et reef friendly fish so i can upgrade easily, and start adding corals and things. i am holding off ont eh clownfish till about a year so i can get anemone with it

-me

i would'nt get a anenome, IMO if you do, put it with the clowns in another tankjust them, have heard horry stories of anenomes in tanks with lots of coral

mhaynes01 said:
i would'nt get a anenome, IMO if you do, put it with the clowns in another tankjust them, have heard horry stories of anenomes in tanks with lots of coral

well i've got a year to decide anyways, so no rush

You need to hold off on the mandarin and the anenome for at least a year. For the mandarin you need a lot of live rock with a very healthy pod population to support it. They do not ussually accept prepared food and rely on the natual pods supported by your LR. The mandarin is actually a dragonet. If you want a cool goby, try a yellow watchman goby. Very funny fish. I agree and you should add the tang last as they are the most aggressive in your tank. Be careful adding two royal grammas, if you end up wit two males they will fight to the death. Goo luck in whatever you decide. Lando

I just got a pair of neon blue gobies. The color is nice, they do well w/the coral, and best of all, they're cleaners. I've understand they do similar work to the cleaner wrasse and will clean other fish. So far, I've seen no cleaning, but the goby did try to suck on one of my percs yesterday. Mr. Clown wasn't having any part of that.

I also like the watchman goby and his buddy the pistol shrimp. Just gotta make sure your bottom rocks are firmly in the sand sitting on the bottom. Avalanches aren't a good thing as the pistol will tunnel.

I also agree about putting the mandarin off for quite some time.

thanks for all the help. to hosue these fish i am deciding between a 125 galon and a 120, not a big difference except the demsions. i presonally like the 125 five because its really long. 125-(72X18X22). a 6 footer! the 120 is (48X24X24) comes out far from the wall. i like the 125, i think it will trick the fishes into thinking they ahve a much larger aquarium than the 120. any thoughts

I would get a Fridmani Pseudochromis for your dotty-back! They are really cool and kind of glow bluish under actinics. They are pretty pricy though (I got mine for $40 at my lfs) so make sure that they cannot jump out. For something less pricy but sort of the same look, just a little bit fatter and shorter, you can get a magenta dotty-back for about $15.

I would get a Fridmani Pseudochromis for your dotty-back! They are really cool and kind of glow bluish under actinics. They are pretty pricy though (I got mine for $40 at my lfs) so make sure that they cannot jump out. For something less pricy but sort of the same look, just a little bit fatter and shorter, you can get a magenta dotty-back for about $15.

Back
Top Bottom