Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Fish List - Does this work

Once my tank is done cycling i plan to get these fish and inverts over a period of a couple of months. Do you think this would be a good setup. I have a 50Gallon with 20lb LR, 30LB baserock, and 60lbs of sand. This is what i plan on adding.

FISH
2- O. Clownfish (to be added first)
1- P. Cardinal
1- Sandsifting Goby
1- Lawn mower Blenny
1- Yellow tang (added last)

Inverts
20+ - hermits (added as needed, most likely blue leg & Scarlets)
20+ Snails (mix of turbo, margarita, bumble bee)
1 - cleaner shrimp
1- coral branded shrimp
2- Electric Blue Hermits.

Does this sound like everyone would get a long, i know it will be months before i get everything i want, but does this look good, Overstocked?

TIA.

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #2

thats pretty good although you might want a more experienced salty

im a freshie and a salty i really want to transform the 29 gal into a SW
Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Looks good to me.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
steve-s

Unless you plan on upgrading the tank size sometime within the year, I would skip tangs altogether. A 50 gal really isn't suitable for them to remain healthy and long lived. The sandsifting goby might end up being a bit of a challenge. Be 100% sure you see the fish eat at the LFS , otherwise leave it be. They also have a tendancey to make a mess of the sandbed and can affect the health of lower corals (if any) with irritating sediment.

Your other fish seem fine though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
The sandsifting goby might end up being a bit of a challenge. Be 100% sure you see the fish eat at the LFS , otherwise leave it be. They also have a tendancey to make a mess of the sandbed and can affect the health of lower corals (if any) with irritating sediment.
when you say eat, do you mean make sure they are sifting. My LFS has one in their coral tank that is not for sale, and gotta say they are awesome. Does the tank have to be well established before adding one of these guys. I do not plan on having corals for at least a year, as i am a newbie and dont want to jump into reef as of yet. What do you mean by making a mess of the sandbed? Thanks for your quick replies, your advice is really appreciated. Thanks to all at AA

Old 04-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to 4inchSandBed
I wouldnt recommend the Tang in a 50 gallon tank. I mean it will be fine at first but eventually will need something larger. Everything will go together very nicely. GOODLUCK

Brad and Jen are sexy
Old 04-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Skip the tang... They may be small enough at first for the 50 gal, but they like lots of swimming space (75 gallon min). They just aren't happy in a smaller tank and won't live as long...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I, to, would skip the tang. If you like the yellow you should look at the lemonpeel angel. Great yellow color and it will do better in a tank of that size. But...if you plan on having a reef in the future you may want to skip that as well. They are coral munchers. The rest of the list looks good. You can also consider the royal gramma or a firefish.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish
when you say eat, do you mean make sure they are sifting.
No, I mean make sure they are eating prepared foods not just sifting. Many sifting species will not readily adapt to foods fed by you and can often starve. Some end up starving even if they eat. A smaller tank cannot provide enough natural food stores for them long term and they often waste away. Seeing them accept food is the only way of knowing you have some chance of success.

Quote:
My LFS has one in their coral tank that is not for sale, and gotta say they are awesome. Does the tank have to be well established before adding one of these guys.
If they're accepting foods it's not too important although a more mature tank is definately a plus. If the fish is not accepting foods, don't buy it unless you personally see it eat. Don't just take their word for it either.

Quote:
I do not plan on having corals for at least a year, as i am a newbie and dont want to jump into reef as of yet. What do you mean by making a mess of the sandbed?
Depending on the actual species you get, some sift "on the spot" while other roam about as they sift dropping the sedimant haphazardly. If this falls into certain sensitive LPS corals it can irritate the area's between the flesh and the sclerites and possibley cause necrosis. It will stress the corals at the very least so be wary what you purchase down the road.

As far as messing up the sandbed, again it depends on the species. They can sometimes not be a concern at all but some can move enormous amounts of sand piling it up and digging under the rock.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone, i think i will skip the tang. Thanks for all the info steve, it is really helpful, if i do get one i will make sure he is eating. The one at the LFS seemed to stop, take a mouth full of sand and sift then move on. Thats the kind i want, although im not sure of the proper name (i want to say its a diamond watchmen by looking at pics on liveaquaria). Anyway, i eventually will look to getting corals in the future, at least a year. Anyone have any suggestions to replace the tang?

thanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com