fish not finding/eating food on floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairtrade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I added two fish to my first saltwater tank (30 g). I'm using pellets to feed them but they seem to be having a little trouble finding them. They'll see and eat them if they notice the pellets when they are sinking to the bottom, however, once the pellets are on the sandy bottom they ignore them. I'm just wondering if this is potentially a problem? Can fish eat food off of sand? Will it just take a while for them to notice it?

(oh, and the fish i have are a blue damsel and a dart fish)

it could cause a problem but pellets tend to dissolve and get filtered. i had a nitrate spike b/c i feed my fish frozen food and it sank to the bottom and they didn't eat them. i only had damsels and clowns in there. depending on what time of fish you have, some will eat off the sandbed. i have 2 tangs and they pick the food off the bottom.

i would feed something else, and get that uneaten food off of the sand bed as soon as possible, or you are going to have more than a nitrate spike.

Back
Top Bottom