Fish Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want to start a fish only tank and i was wondering if i need a protein skimmer if its just fish only? I also heard the you just set it up as a freshwater tank and add salt to the right level.:confused:

What size is the tank?
What type of tank fish only or FOWLER?
And what types of fish. Regular reef/non reef safe fish? Or predators?

And idk what you mean by just like freshwater?
You cannot use the freshwater gravel for saltwater tanks. Most say this on their packaging. And many decorations sold unless they say saltwater safe somewhere are poison to a tank b/c chemicals will leach out once erosion sets in

i really wanted occileris (SP?) clowns and about 30g-40g by freshwater i mean like cycle the tank normal then add salt live sand and live rock

That tank size is perfect for those. You want to mix your salt and get it to the proper levels. Then add your live rock and then live sand to it makes your rock structure more stable.

Then cycle the same way. Just test and then at the end of the cycle do a 25% water change and good to go.

You wont need a skimmer BUT they help out a lot, without one your gonna go threw a lot of salt as well as RO/DI water (PWC's) Not to mention the algae and other problems that comes with poor water quality

Oh yea it is lol I ran a 90 without one for 2 years was changing out 25 gallons of water a week :facepalm:

How many fish can u add at once what about 6 or is the too risky

You mentioned clowns and then ask about adding six fish. What are the other four you are thinking about? For a tank that size, six at once is probably too much, regardless of what they are.

I'm a big fan of taking it slow. That allows bacteria a chance to adjust and let's you see how the new additions are doing.

Well where I'm getting the fish they dont have a occilerics clown so I'm getting a tomato clown and a few other so I don't know what to do cause I don't want to pay shipping several times and my closest store is an hour away

Mckitrick said:
Well where I'm getting the fish they dont have a occilerics clown so I'm getting a tomato clown and a few other so I don't know what to do cause I don't want to pay shipping several times and my closest store is an hour away

Tomato clowns get huge and are agressive... Bad choice IMO

Idk what to do now all the fish I choose are not right for me or not in stock and it's so stressful!!!!!

You mentioned that you wanted to start a tank. Now you are talking about your store not having what you want. Is your tank already set up and cycled? If not, then that needs to happen before you even think of adding fish.

During the month, or so, that you are cycling, check with your store and see if they can order what you want. Every store that I have ever dealt with has offered to order what I want. Even PetCo, which kinda shocked me.

For fish, you should figure out what you want and then add in the order suggested. Ask here and people will help you out. Don't rush into things. Saltwater requires patience. Lack of that will cause you troubles (and money).

Yes I realize that but saltwater fish are exspinsive and I just want to get the money saved cause I want at any time just fork up the money (sorry if I sound rude don't mean to be)

I still have not heard...is your tank is set up and cycled yet?

If your fish store can order fish, they can probably get whatever you want pretty quickly (unless you are looking for something rare). They should be able to tell you how much it will be too. I think it was just the tomato clown that was not a great idea. If you want the other clowns, then have your store order them. Those were okay.

Some of these online places can be WAY overpriced and sometimes they are right on par with my LFS. For example...I'm stopping on the way home to get a Yellow Candy Hogfish for $25, but they are twice that on LA (before shipping). There are sometimes big differences in prices between my two LFS and they are about a mile apart.

TheTodd said:
Some of these online places can be WAY overpriced and sometimes they are right on par with my LFS. For example...I'm stopping on the way home to get a Yellow Candy Hogfish for $25, but they are twice that on LA (before shipping). There are sometimes big differences in prices between my two LFS and they are about a mile apart.

Im not familiar with salt so much but their prices are dead on for freshwater compared to what I'd pay. I live on an island with a total population of less that 400 000 everything is overpriced here.

A lot depends on where you are and what is available around you. I'm in the Palm Springs area and have two LFS, so they know they have a somewhat captive audience out here. They can charge what they want. I used to live in Orange County and there are numerous places out there. They are sometimes half what I pay out here. At least 20-25% less.

Back
Top Bottom