fish only stay in 1 corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishsticks7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon sw tank with and after cycling my tank i put in a sebae clownfish and a percula clownfish. They only stay in 1 corner of the tank, the back left corner. Any reason for this?

Clowns seem to be territorial fish. Mine stays hovering over one rock 90% of his time. When he is not their he goes to the back of the tank and hovers over one of those rocks...

my perculas are the opposite from yours mine swim all over the tank and swim with my yellow tang.

Well mine is actually an Ocellaris clown (though the LFS disagrees with me and sells them as Perculas, whatever...) so I wonder if perhaps different clowns have different territorial habits.

new clowns will often behave this way e-cat. The stress from changing tanks and, IMO, being taken away from the colony they had grown acustomed to in the LFS, I think makes them react as though they're depressed. (I don't know as though they actualy have the emotions we associate with depression, thats just the behavior they display) Clowns sulking in the corner is normal when they are first introduced to a tank.

Give them a week or so and they will gradualy accept their new territory and explore the tank. They will eventualy claim a spot as their territory and hang in that general area more than the rest of the tank, but they will still swim about.

fishsticks7 said:
ok so now the percula is chasin the sabae around. jerk... :x

This is actually normal behavour. Two different species of clowns will rarely tolerate each other for long. A 75 gal is far too small to have atempted this. I would choose which one you like best and return the other. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom