Fish per gallon Rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImLookinForNemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been hearing a few different ideas...inches per gallon, inches per square foot...I have a 30 gallon tank...how many 'up to 4 inch' fish can I get?

sorry to tell you this, but there is no 'rule'. it really depends on the fish. a 4" watchman goby is going to be completely different than a 4" valentini puffer which will be ocmpletely different than a 4" dwarf fuzzy lion.

list of fish you'd like and i'm sure you could get better advice regarding stocking.

Yep, I totally agree, there are way too many variables to give a inch of fish per gallon rule. The "rule" started as a way to gauge biological filtration, with the advances there it isn't even an efficient or good guideline anymore.

hmm ok well basically I wanted to start with some kind of damsel because they are the most hardy. Probably something not very aggressive, (help with picking out one of these fellas would be appreciated too) so that I can add a pair??(hopefully..will they fit?) of clowns...if thats not my limit already...i would think about maybe one pgymy angelfish? (compatible?) or someting else that doesnt get too big and is fairly easy to care for and hardy. Also, probably cleaner shrimp or snails, I don't know if they're included in the 'rule'.

If you are looking for suggestions, I would start off with the clowns as the first fish after the tank has properly <<cycled>> and they have gone through <<quarantine>>.

TR false percs (Amphiprion Ocellaris) are very hardy hardy and could be a good place to start. Honestly given your potentially limited stocking room, a damsel would be a poor choice and should be avoided. They can be quite aggressive and would cause more problems than their worth.

There are many, many very colorful smaller growing fish available that are both reef friendly and personable. I would research a few of those before making a decision.

Cheers
Steve

I'll look into it...Honestly, the only reason I was going with damsels is because so many people start their tanks out with damsels, as they are hardy and very inespensive. Like I said, I eventually want a pair of percula clowns, but these have to be added at the same time, right? Well, one clown is about 20 bucks, so two is 40...and damsels are about 5 each. I just didnt want to spend 40 bucks on the first fish I get, because what if they dont make it???

There are other alternatives for a first fish that will still allow for the addition of the clowns at a later date. You do not have to add the clowns at the same time, but if you know your going to want a pair, it is easiest to do it that way.

There isn't much good about a cheap fish if it picks on your more expensive fish later :wink: .

If your tank has cycled, I see no reason why your fish would mysteriously die. If you have water tests...and your water is good...and you quarantine each new fish there should be no problems. Thus I would add what you want, such as the perc. pair after your tank parameters appear proper and stable.

Some of the gobies, blennies, grammas etc... Really, you need to take a look through the LFS, looking at the smaller fish, see which ones you like (and fit in your budget) and then post back so we can see if they will be compatable with the other fish you want.

Thanks Guys! I'm going to go to the SW place this weekend and take a look...I was a little dissapointed about the damsels because I had really like the Neon Black Damsel, but they are a little more picky about water quality and a lot more aggressive anyway, so it would have probably been out of the question. It was so pretty though... :lol:

IMO Green Chromis would be a good choice. They are peaceful, hardy and stay fairly small 2-3". They seem to do well in small schools. You tank is a little small for this, but you could probably start with 3-5 and then still add your clowns later. They are best kept in odd #s. I have 5 in my 75gal with a pair of maroon clowns a Domino Damsel(slightly aggressive) and a fire fish.

Like they said check out your LFS or search the web for what you like.

Here is a good web site to check out pictures and brief descriptions of what is out there:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/default.cfm?siteid=20

Good luck,

If i have a 40 gallon, can i add a fairy wrasse to my tank which already has 2 percs, a dragon goby, 1 green chromis, a purple firefish, and my cleanup crew. Or is that maxed out?

fo8squad said:
If i have a 40 gallon, can i add a fairy wrasse to my tank which already has 2 percs, a dragon goby, 1 green chromis, a purple firefish, and my cleanup crew. Or is that maxed out?
You might be able to get away with another small peaceful fish but I would not suggest a wrasse species. They are very active and quite messy eaters which could easily tip the scale on an otherwise balanced bioload. Fairy wrasses can get about 3-5" and you may end up having aggression problems with the firefish.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom