Fish Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am putting together my first saltwater tank and it is 55 gallons. I am curious as to what types of fish, and how many you would recommend. Thanks for the help.

-Andrew

It really depends on what size fish you buy and how big they will grow to be.iunno i would say about 3 medium sized fish or 4 smaller fish. Clowns,damsels,blennies,gobys are all good starters.

It's also gonn adepend on what type of filtration, how much rock, and the adult size of fish - not the size when you get'm. Check out the calculator at the top of this pg for some general guidance on qty of fish in a tank.

I'd also recommend Robert Fenner's Conscientious Marine Aquarist as you put your tank together. Might help you decide where you ulitmately wanna go so you can make the best equip and inhabitant choices and purchases along the way.

I belive most people underestimate the number of fish an aquarium can comfortably hold. The important factor is to be certain your fish will get along well together. As long as compatability is not an issue, and you are careful to select fish which you know you can care for, I see no reason you cant have 6 fish the size of a Coral Beauty Angel or smaller, or 4 fish the size of a Porcupine Puffer.

A good selection for a beginner 55 gallon might look like this: 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Sharpnose Puffer, & 1 Kole Tang.

Keep in mind, more fish = more frequent maintainance and more sizable water changes. Avoid fish of the same color or fish of the same family, with the exception of keeping a pair of clownfish.

I love my flame hawkfish, he has sooo much personality. Watch out though he may eat small invertebrates :wink:

I have a Falco Hawkfish and I love him.. He has a ton of personality as well and he doesnt pay attention to the inverts in my tank. He's cheaper then the Flame hawkfish too!

Ya that would be pretty sweet.. I saw a lady that owns LFS out my way feed a nurse shark 2 3 strip damsels he was trying to return because they were overly aggressive in his tank. It was incredible watching the shark hunt...

No she just didn't want them for some reason.. It was funny. The guy didn't even know what was going on he thought he was going to get a store credit for bringing them back, next thing ya know (queue jaws theme) GULP gone...

No credit no more damsels.

Back
Top Bottom