Fish Salt Water SetUp CheckPoint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurderComplication

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I'm finally starting up my saltwater tank! I'm planning on getting a 20G for two clowns and corals. Is that fine? Or do I need a bigger tank for those two?
The LPS has a sale on tanks, $2 a gallon, and half price on salt supplies. So, planning on adding sand to the bottom of the tank with live rock. Just checking to see if there's anything else I need?

Salinity checker
Heater - I live in a basement and it almost never gets above 15C, so do I need a cooler?
Salt Mix - and specific brands that you'd recommend?
Filter
Live Rock
Tank

Is there anything special I have to do to cycle the tank? I've cycled two Fresh Water Tanks - is it similar?
If there's anything else you'd like to add - please do. :3

IMO go at least 30 gallons to start as it will be more forgiving if things go wrong. A chiller is only needed if you run hot lights, go with LED lights if you can. A couple of power heads to keep dead spots to a minimum. Test kit for ammonia and nitrate to follow your cycle. Good luck!

+1 ezy33

The larger tank you can buget for the easier things will be on you. Everything is a little more diluted. Best advice 75g make great starter tanks

My freshwater tank has succumbed to ich, so I'm going to bleach it, scrub it, then use that for my saltwater. It's only a 30G. The largest tank I can get in my area is a 50G, but the only petshop around here that sells it with a stand - and it doesn't cost less then a few grand.

Is Prime okay to dechlorinate the water before I add the salt mixture? Or do I have to get another kind?

So far, my only plan for inhabitants are 2 clowns, a bubble tip anemone, hermit crabs, a star fish when the tank's been running for a while. My Mom, who will be looking after the tank while I'm away at university, wants to add a drawf lion. But, they're just for FOWLR?

What's the best way to cycle a salt water tank? I'll probably start cycling it in three days.

Cycle the tank by adding a shrimp (the kind at the meat counter at your grocery store) and let it rot. Takes about 4-6 weeks.

Prime is okay to dechlorinate the water, but using tap water will likely cause algae and it comes with things that can lead to problems down the road.

The bubble tip anemone needs to be added several months after the tank is going. They need an established tank. the clowns don't need it. Also...read up on whatever star fish you plan to get. Some are extremely tough to keep alive.

Hopefully Mom knows about feeding, partial water changes, water testing for salinity and ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

I've read up on the bubble tip - they're so beautiful! I went on a bubble tip researching rampage the first time I saw the little guy in the pet store :3 And yeah, my Mom knows how to do all that with a freshwater tank, so when we add corals, she just needs to know how to feed them. I have no idea what kind of star I'm interested in, but probably something that doesn't look like a brittle star, those things creep me out, too spider like!

We're planning on moving whenever my Oma decides to sell. So, until then I won't be paying for an RO DI unit. As well as my Tuition's eating up all of my extra money to shell out the 600 to get one delivered here, and the cost to install it.

What are some good starter corals?

Hi, so I went to the re-opening after some major - and gorgeous renovations of my retired Highschool teacher's new petstore, and bought live sand, live rock, and Omega Reef Salt. I cleaned my tank from top to bottom last night, and did a twice over this morning to make sure it's perfectly clean, and set up my tank. I completely forgot to get a Hydrometer, so while my Mom's taking my Oma out tomorrow, she's picking one up while I'm at work. One of the employees told me I can cycle without the shrimp, and just with the live rock and sand. Should I get the shrimp anyway? We have a pack in the freezer so it's not that big of a deal to add it.

My old Teacher put three Chromis on hold for me to add in once my tank's cycled!

I never knew how heavy sand is! I must've gained some more muscle carrying that back to my car alone!

I'm currently waiting for the cloudiness to clear up - so stoked to see the three pieces of live rock in it!

On another note - I noticed these pink bubble like things in my sand when I added the water in after a few hours. Is that normal? I'm just taking every precaution with this tank >.<

Back
Top Bottom