Fish selection...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 90g reef tank with about a 4" sandbed, ~130lbs of LR, 4 pepermint shrimp and a variety or corlas, leathers and a few hard corals.

I am eager to start stocking the tank but wanted to know what everyone would recommend. I love colorful fish, so anything like clows, gramma's, etc. would be awesome. I do not want anything that could possibly "jump" out of the tank. I just bought a diamond goby last night and the lil' tard went carpet surfing overnight....there goes $35.00!

I was thinking:
2 clowns (with hosting bta is possible)
1 hippo tang
1 or 2 yellow tangs
1 mandarin goby (eventually)
1 gramma
???

I would probably ditch the hippo tang. They get pretty big and need a ton of space to really be happy. People keep them in 90s but it is diffucult. They get easily stressed with only a 4' tank and are just a magnet for Ich.

Unless you get a male and female yellow tang that decide to mate up things will probably get ugly between them if you get two in that sized thank. I personally would avoid the hassle.

Most online sites have a section for reef safe wrasse and i think they are great fish for your sized tank. They are active and colorful. I think blennies are also really interesting fish. They seem to have a very interesting and funny personallity.

I'd have to agree with Pat. I'd look at making a mesh top because a lot of reef safe fish WILL jump. Your possibilities will definitely expand if you do and you'll probably save money in the future. We lost multiple fairy wrasses over the course of a year due to them finding places to escape. :(

IMO, all tangs will need more lateral room.

I too would ditch the hippo tang. They need a 6 ft tank. I would only suggest one yellow tang or maybe a yellow eyed kole tang.

Back
Top Bottom