Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fish selection question

I just setup my first saltwater tank. It's a 55 gal tank. Finally got it cycled and now I'm ready to start stocking it. The only thing in the tank right now are 2 green chromis, 3 blue leg hermit crabs, and a couple of snails. I really like the butterfly fish, but most are not recommended for tanks smaller then 70 gal and I've been told most are not reef safe. I do plan on adding corals and other inverts later so I don't want something in the tank that will just kill them. Can anyone suggest a type of butterfly fish that might be okay for my tank, or a similar fish that may work better. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont think your going to have any luck with butterflyfish, is your tank the 48'' 55 gallon?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 55g too. My advice is avoid dwarf angels and butterflyfish if you're doing corals. My dwarf angel ate a lot of money in corals, then have to take tank apart to catch it and relocate. Was such a pain. In my 55 I have couple Bengaii cardinals, YWG/pistol shrimp pair, bartletts anthias, 3 green chromis, b/w clown. Search liveaquaria.com and look at ideas there. Good luck!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes it is a 48" 55. Thanks for the advise on the dwarf angels, they were one of the other fish I was thinking about if the butterfly fish didn't work out.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

A bellus angel is reef safe. They only grow to 7'' and require a 100 gallon tank. This is my opinion tho but im sure everyone is going to disagree. The difference between your tank and a 100 gallon tank is 1 ft in lenght and 4'' wider so he should be fine. A fish aint going to know the water volume your tank is, the room it has to move around is whats most important.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405
A bellus angel is reef safe. They only grow to 7'' and require a 100 gallon tank. This is my opinion tho but im sure everyone is going to disagree. The difference between your tank and a 100 gallon tank is 1 ft in lenght and 4'' wider so he should be fine. A fish aint going to know the water volume your tank is, the room it has to move around is whats most important.
I'm not agreeing with that. That angel requires 100g, you have a 55g. That's about half as big as the fish needs.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was wrong, a 120 gallon tank is 48x24..the 55 is 48x12 3/4'' so at full size still has plenty of room to turn around and still has the same amount of "running room" as a bigger tank. And you can always trade fish in when they get to big.

Tags
fish selection

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com