Fish selection suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I'm going to be setting up a 55 gal. Right now the only thing I'm really planning on having is a pair of Percula clowns, and also a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp. For the time being I will be running the tank with a sandman HOB filter, and will have a minimal amount of LR in the tank. Protien skimmer will be a future addition. But can't afford it right now. I would like something along the lines of a flame angle, but I also want to grow corals later on. So I may go with something similar. Also need a clean-up crew. They will most likely be on a DSB, but I may go the extra mile and put in LS. Real preliminary stages right now, just not that familar with all the different species. I want to stay away from the more aggressive fish, and keep the peaceful guys. Thought about two or three green chromis too.

a minimal amount of LR
How much is this? I have just over 100lbs of live rock in my 55 and I have room for more.

sandman HOB filter
Save you money and buy more live rock and some power heads.

I don't really think hang on the backs do anything except move water. I have a 7gal at my office that is over stocked (a clown and a firefish) that has 0 nitrates do to the 30 lbs of live rock. A tank with just live rock and powerheads is better than any filter. Fuges and Protien Skimmers just help.

I have several powerheads for is. I'm skimping on the LR partly cause I have this strange desire to seed other rocks with it, and have it be something that I grew. I'll be using the sandman just because I already have it. Not sure how many pounds of LR I will have I need to make a venture to the LFS this weekend and see what they have to offer me. I think the biggest problem that most people have with their power filters, HOB, protein skimmers, etc. is that they don't keep them clean. They do help, though natural filtration is for sure the best seeing as it is "nature's way". I've had a fairy wrasse suggested to me before. Are these a good fish for the set-up I want to have?

I need to make a venture to the LFS this weekend and see what they have to offer me.

YOu can probably end up getting twice as much rock online for the same money and the rock will probably be 10 X better. For your live rock to have any real filtration benifits you need at least 55-75 pounds of it in your tank. Anyless really would just be for decoration and not for filtration benifits.

Be careful not to overstock the tank. If you go with a pair of clowns and a dwarf angel (the entire family of fish has a chance of being coral nippers), and a few chromis I would classify you close to your 'safe' fish load.

What would be a good goby to keep the bottom clean, and mix up my sand. I really like the mandarins, but am a little scared of the reputation as being hit and miss eaters. Basically I don't want something that is just going to die. Thought about a scooter Blenny, but I think I would like a true goby. I just like those long fish.

I know, that's why I'm looking for something that does the same job as the mandarin. I've been surfing the net and have seen a Catalina Goby/Blue-Banded Goby (Lythrypnus Dalli). Has anybody had any experience keeping these guys?

catalina goby?

The catalina goby is basically a cool water goby...doesn't have a high survival rate in the warmer aquariums.

Why is it that all the cool fish never work in your system? Murphy's Law I guess. How about this alternate I saw on doctorfoster/smith, a red headed goby. (gobiosomo puncticulatus). Looks like they stay fairly small. I've never seen this one before.

it would be better to get a clean up crew rather than a goby. a goby will eat all of your critters and pods that live in your sand. snails and crabs will clean it and turn it a lot better. gobies are very fun fish to watch if you have a big enough system with lots of lr to reproduce your pods. if you dont they will eat everything in your sand bed and start to starve, then try to jump out to find more food.

i also agree with everyone else on the lr as well. but if you cant afford it now, use the filter you have until you are able to get more rock. also look into base rock, it is much cheaper and will get seeded by LR and will eventually grow coraline etc.

Using the base rock and seeding it with a small amount of LR was my original plan. (sorry I thought I had stated that in this post, no wonder everybody has been harrasing me about it.) I know this will take a little more time, but I'm really not in a hurry. Perhaps adding a goby after my tank matures a bit would be best. In that case would the preculas bother him? I'm planning on getting juveniles, one larger than the other, and hoping for a successful pair. If I wind up getting a mated pair would they bother the new adition. I just ask cause goby's seem to be fairly peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom