Fish Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RambleOn1313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Well, I just got my first tank up. I bought a used system from my LFS and had them come hook it up. Here's what I have

80 gallon
100 lbs live rock
20 lbs live sand
60 lbs aragonite
40 gal sump
2x96 power compacts 1 blue, 1 white.
Protein skimmer, magnum filter, UV sterilizer..etc.

I'm hoping for a FOWLR tank. Haven't put any fish in it yet. I'm looking for suggestions. I want small fish, peaceful community.

Here's what I like:
yellowtail damsels (to cycle?)
chromis
perc clowns
catalina goby
flame angel
coral beauty
cortez angel (too big? too aggressive?)
banded angel
rainfordi butterfly
bicolor blenny
mandarin goby
royal gramma

I'd like to have shrimp and/or crabs...I love the arrow crabs!

I'm getting a little overwhelmed from conflicting LFS opinions
and wanting some real advice from folks with experience.
Which fish should I get? And in what order. I know I can't have all of them, but I'm trying to give you some groundwork...
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jenn

yellowtail damsels (to cycle?)

Please reference our fishless method of cycling article. There is no need to force the fish to live in such a hostile enviorment when it can be done with a few cocktale shrimp.

Drop the cortez angel, the butterfly and the banded angel. Hold off on the mandarin for at least 9 months to a year. You should only keep either the flame or coral beauty as I dont recommend both in the same tank. A good listing would be something like this.

4-5 Chromis
2 Perc Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 bicolor blenny
1 royal gramma

That is a good list. I would skip the damsels and cycle fishless. Theyare a pain to catch when the cycle is over and you want them out. Be carefull of the angles, they tend to be aggressive toward each other. go for the percs but try to get two that have paird off at the LFS so you know they will along. I just put a Royal gramma in my display and it is a very funny fish. Like fishfreek said, hold of an the mandarin for now. good luck...Lando

Well i dont think that the catalina goby would work out. They look awesome but i think they require water in the low 70s. I would stick with fishfreek's list.

They really need to feel threaten to school. I bought 5 Chromis for my tank and for the first 3-4 hours they were schooling (although it was more like hiding in a group). So in the morning I turn on the lights and they schooled for probably a few hours and when they felt comfortable they started to just roam around freely. The only time they "school" is when I turn the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom